4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

03 GT Chirping on Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 01:16 PM
msavoia23

Default 03 GT Chirping on Throttle

Howdy folks, pretty new here-

I have an 03 GT, 5 Speed. Mainly stock with a few bolt ons (CAI, Long Tube Headers, Full Exhaust, NGK Plugs, 30 lb Injectors, BAMA Chip, then other external stuff)

I run it on a mid grade street tune by BAMA on 89 octane fuel.

For about 2 months now, the car has trouble starting. It seems like it cant turn over right away, but it eventually does and then the RPM will bounce from 500-850 until I rev it up and that stabilizes it.

2 days ago, I got it back from the dealer (they pretty much rebuilt the rear end) and ever since, I have had a loud chirp from what seems like the top of the motor. It didnt chirp before, but had trouble starting. (Not saying they did anything, just added that in there)

The chirp is really quiet at idle, and can only be heard standing over the engine with the hood open. Cant be heard in the car on idle. When driving, the chirp is pretty loud ONLY ON THE THROTTLE and gets quicker the higher the RPM. When I lift off the throttle, it stops instantly, unless im at like 4k RPM, then it chirps on its way back down to about 1800 then it goes away. When coasting, it doesnt make a sound. Does it in all gears and the AC on/off has no correlation.

LONG STORY SHORT:

On the throttle, the car makes a chirping noise in all gears. The higher the RPM, the quicker the chirp. When I lift off the throttle, it chirps down and slows down as the RPM drops. On idle its there, but really really quiet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

-Mike
Old 08-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Belt related?
Old 08-14-2015, 02:12 PM
msavoia23

Possibly. The belt is only a few months old with 3-4k miles on it. I will pull it off and check it out later.

As silly as it sounds, it sounds like its coming from the top left of the motor.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by msavoia23
For about 2 months now, the car has trouble starting. It seems like it cant turn over right away, but it eventually does and then the RPM will bounce from 500-850 until I rev it up and that stabilizes it.
Start by checking the battery via load test. A local parts store can do this. A battery can seem to have plenty of cranking power, and fool you into thinking it's still good.

Last year, my car would crank for some time before starting; sometimes it would take multiple tries. I thought my battery was good. But I became suspicious when jump-starting the car would fire it up right away. I took the battery to the parts store, and sure enough it failed a load test. I was still skeptical, but with the new battery installed, it started under its own power, and has continued to do so every time since.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:00 PM
msavoia23

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Start by checking the battery via load test. A local parts store can do this. A battery can seem to have plenty of cranking power, and fool you into thinking it's still good.

Last year, my car would crank for some time before starting; sometimes it would take multiple tries. I thought my battery was good. But I became suspicious when jump-starting the car would fire it up right away. I took the battery to the parts store, and sure enough it failed a load test. I was still skeptical, but with the new battery installed, it started under its own power, and has continued to do so every time since.
I will take it there first thing tomorrow morning and test it, I appreciate the suggestion and will update with results. Hopefully that will fix the starting issue, the chirp on the other hand will need some more playing with.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by msavoia23
Possibly. The belt is only a few months old with 3-4k miles on it. I will pull it off and check it out later.

As silly as it sounds, it sounds like its coming from the top left of the motor.
Belt tensioner?
Old 08-14-2015, 05:52 PM
msavoia23

Originally Posted by Camster
Belt tensioner?
Based on responses and some research, I am leaning towards belts and pulleys. I will pull the belt and pulleys tomorrow and see what I can find.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:29 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Like mentioned above, get the battery and alternator check. Get back to us after the belt removal test.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:43 PM
msavoia23

I was not able to get the battery checked this weekend...but

The noise in an exhaust leak. My car and especially the exhaust sits extremely low and it turns out when the dealer was test driving it after the new rear end, they bottomed it out and cracked my X pipe up near the headers )))

I am bringing it to a shop to have it hopefully repaired Friday morning.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:21 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Are they going to look at the starting issue, or are you still pursuing that yourself?

Quick Reply: 03 GT Chirping on Throttle