4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Trickflow Twisted Wedge Heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 12:46 AM
MasterLanMan

Default Trickflow Twisted Wedge Heads

Hey everyone,

I was doing some research on the Trickflow Twisted Wedge Heads for my 03 GT and I saw there were some HP gains to be had. I'm not sure if it's worth the cost though, thoughts?
Old 09-14-2015, 03:56 AM
Dave Severson

They are some good working heads, but to get the most out of them you'll need other upgrades to go with them.... Anything else done to the engine or is it all still stock?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:09 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dave Severson
They are some good working heads, but to get the most out of them you'll need other upgrades to go with them.... Anything else done to the engine or is it all still stock?
Truth! I have these heads and these are the best heads on the market right now. They respond VERY WELL to mods! There are some NICE GAINS to be had with these heads! They're worth every penny!
Old 09-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

For those heads, plus cams, plus hardware, plus new timing chains/guides/tensioners, plus injectors you're easily around $3500 in parts alone.

At that point in time you really need to ask yourself what your hp goals and budget are, and if there might be a more cost effective way of accomplishing it.

Yes, they are phenomenal cylinder heads and you'll be hard pressed to find anybody who has them with a bad opinion or regrets the purchase. But you are gonna pay, and it won't be comfortable. Almost $3500 just in parts for 320rwhp is what you will get. You will also need some tuning. If you are paying a shop to install, I'm guessing that all said n' done you'll be at $5K. And we haven't included a nice set of LT's on the list yet either...

Nothing wrong with going this route, just be sure it's what you wanna do.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:17 PM
MasterLanMan

Originally Posted by Dave Severson
Some more information on my engine:

CAI, 70mm TB, Upper intake Plenum, Intake Spacer, BAMA 91 racing tune.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:20 PM
MasterLanMan

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
For those heads, plus cams, plus hardware, plus new timing chains/guides/tensioners, plus injectors you're easily around $3500 in parts alone.

At that point in time you really need to ask yourself what your hp goals and budget are, and if there might be a more cost effective way of accomplishing it.

Yes, they are phenomenal cylinder heads and you'll be hard pressed to find anybody who has them with a bad opinion or regrets the purchase. But you are gonna pay, and it won't be comfortable. Almost $3500 just in parts for 320rwhp is what you will get. You will also need some tuning. If you are paying a shop to install, I'm guessing that all said n' done you'll be at $5K. And we haven't included a nice set of LT's on the list yet either...

Nothing wrong with going this route, just be sure it's what you wanna do.
I'm trying to stay N/A, simply because I can't afford a supercharger and I really don't want a turbo. I've heard these heads will give me the most HP out of anything I could do to my car essentially that's not forced induction. I'm fine with my car being around 320 HP, if not more. I'm not looking for anything more than 400.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:44 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Vortech all the way

"This was written a couple years ago. BTW the kit below got me at 389 RWHP but that's with a 3.60 pulley. If you drop down to a 3.48 pulley you'll hit 400 + easy and then its time for some 5.0 chasing, lol!

Vortech V1 T-Trim Head unit-700.00---- SVT Forums
Anderson Power Pipe--150.00---Corral.net
3.60 pulley--40.00---Corral.net
Tial Bov---220.00--JDsperformance
CX Rcing Intercooler (Complete kit)--210.00-- CX Racing (Ebay)
Seimens 42lb injectors--210.00--CorraL.net
HPX 05 Slot Maf--175.00--Kerns found this one for me..
Vortech mounting bracket--50.00-- Member of MF
Vortech mounting bracket hardware kit--95.00--superchargersonline
Oil Feed line--24.00--Vortech
Oil Feed Drain--24.00-- Vortech
SVT Fuel Pump-95.00-Member of MF
S/C belt--36.00---Summit Racing
NGK TR6 Plus--26.00---Auto Zone
Vortech Rib metal idler pulley ( 2.60", 6 rib)+Vortech 6 Rib Smooth Plastic Pulley (3"Lip)---85.00---JDsperformance
Stock Pulleys--30.00--- Corral.net

Total Cost: $2170.00

Didn't quite reach the $1500.00 Supercharger build but I think I did pretty good. Could have even been cheaper if I hadn't bought the Power Pipe, Tial Bov and went with smaller injectors. Any questions guys let me know..

Soldier GT
Old 09-14-2015, 03:33 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MasterLanMan
I'm trying to stay N/A, simply because I can't afford a supercharger and I really don't want a turbo. I've heard these heads will give me the most HP out of anything I could do to my car essentially that's not forced induction. I'm fine with my car being around 320 HP, if not more. I'm not looking for anything more than 400.
That's kinda what I'm trying to say... If you can afford these heads and all the other stuff to do it "right", then you can afford a supercharger. Stay away from the pre-packaged $5,000+ kits and buy all the parts including the head unit individually, even if everything is brand new you can do it for under $4,000 including tuning. Go look over at jpcracing.com, they have Procharger P1SC head units for $2200; another grand or maybe less in all the little stuff and a tune and you'll be doing much better than anything you can build n/a for twice as much money.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:51 PM
MasterLanMan

You guys have convinced me to go for a supercharger. I've heard Kenne Bell makes some pretty good superchargers. Thoughts? Also, what should I be looking to upgrade in terms of higher HP numbers? I don't want to kill my car with a supercharger.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MasterLanMan
You guys have convinced me to go for a supercharger. I've heard Kenne Bell makes some pretty good superchargers. Thoughts? Also, what should I be looking to upgrade in terms of higher HP numbers? I don't want to kill my car with a supercharger.
I have a procharger head unit that I'm selling which is the same style as the vortech but you don't have to punch a hole in the oil pan. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you a sweet deal!

Quick Reply: Trickflow Twisted Wedge Heads