4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

everyday something new

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

Default everyday something new

so I was cleaning my IAC and both bolts broke off at the head the screws came out no problems. I only had one bolt to replace it so I throw it on and was seeing if the motor could deal with one bolt to make it to shop to buy a 2nd rev'ed it to 3k.....and.......... BAM white smoke every where pouring out of hood

I get depressed ready to blow my brains out, covered in car blood (oil dirt coolant)I wait for my car to catch fire or stop smoking and after 10 mins I get up the nerve look and thank god it is only the heater hose through the firewall!!! woot !! STILL FREAKIN SCARY
Old 10-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

when this blew the heat/ac was not even running, how can I find out if my heater coil blew or just the pipe?
Old 10-27-2015, 08:28 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

if it was shooting coolant under the hood, the core is most likely fine. how you tell is you replace the hose that failed and then pressure test the system.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

ok here is my new issue the hose Is fine it's the plastic part that snaps on to the firewall. the snap on connector seems to be permanently attached to the tube so I would have to buy it as a set I thought. I can find no replacement for the whole piece either just hose. the mount at firewall appears to be plastic as well so using a metal hose clamps might break that is my fear. so besides junk yard is their a oem hose like this or should I just hand snug it with clamps?
Old 10-29-2015, 02:07 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drastang
ok here is my new issue the hose Is fine it's the plastic part that snaps on to the firewall. the snap on connector seems to be permanently attached to the tube so I would have to buy it as a set I thought. I can find no replacement for the whole piece either just hose. the mount at firewall appears to be plastic as well so using a metal hose clamps might break that is my fear. so besides junk yard is their a oem hose like this or should I just hand snug it with clamps?
call a dealer with your vin #, it should just be a hose with an integral quick disconnect fitting, make sure you get the o-rings as well. check on this first, if it checks out you will have to use a side cutters to cut the old plastic connector off of the aluminum heater core tube.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

well threw it all back together made one really awesome trip to store. got back in it to get gas ad it's acting crazy almost like the MAF is disconnected or the engine has no vacume
Old 10-29-2015, 08:26 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

check to make sure that the spark plug wells in the head are not full of coolant, if they are blow them out and add some electrical grease to the boots and reinstall
Old 10-29-2015, 09:21 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

ok I will try that in the morning, and I'm guessing after that next step would be to buy a coil tester? they do make those pretty cheap at auto stores right?
Old 10-29-2015, 11:29 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drastang
ok I will try that in the morning, and I'm guessing after that next step would be to buy a coil tester? they do make those pretty cheap at auto stores right?
no coil tester that i know of, usually you just see what missfire codes you have and then you replace those coils/plugs
Old 10-30-2015, 07:00 AM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

your right i was thinking of a damn cylinder pressure *gauge sorry i don't know wttf i was thinking last night

Last edited by Drastang; 10-30-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: everyday something new