4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Long block install questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Default Long block install questions

I'm very close to installing a long Block. I want to have my equipment set up and everything on hand before I get started. So a few questions.
I have MAC long tube headers and an aftermarket K member (UPR). My question is will I be able to pull the current motor with The headers and transmission still attached? I want to assemble most of the new long block on the stand before I install it in the car. I'm on Jackstands, no lift. I guess mostly I'm concerned with the transmission, it's such a bitch laying on your back trying to get those top 2 bolts in while it's in the car hahaha.

My next question is; what should I change in the engine bay whIle I have the engine out? I'm already going to change things like the coil packs, plugs, etc. But thinking of upgrading the radiator and such. Any suggestions will be awesome.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:46 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Ok. I used the search button a little more effectively. Figured out what I needed to know about pulling the motor and trans.

I would still appreciate any thoughts on what to upgrade/replace/adjust while the motor is out and easily accessible.
Also any tips or suggestions at all.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:54 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Don't know about a 01 but on a 1998, i put the intake on after installing the motor which allowed access to the top two bolts. If your lift is capable, motor trans combination is the way to go however i have done it both ways not really that bad of a job.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:07 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

[1QUOTE=WJL;8521102]Don't know about a 01 but on a 1998, i put the intake on after installing the motor which allowed access to the top two bolts. If your lift is capable, motor trans combination is the way to go however i have done it both ways not really that bad of a job.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even think about that! Great call. Yeah I'm going to attempt to pull it with the transmission on it. But if I can't you have already eased my concerns with those bolts.
Someone gave me a good idea also. Buy some bolts that will screw into the same spots as the transmission holes. Cut the bolt heads off. Grind about a 1/4 inch of the end flat. Then screw the other end into the block on the bottom transmission holes. Then it helps guide the transmission in and line it up. Once in place, pull one and put the regular bolt in... and so on.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:06 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Alignment studs are a good idea as well
Old 12-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

For a thorough job,I'd put in new motor mounts.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camster
For a thorough job,I'd put in new motor mounts.
Added the mounts to my list. Currently on my replace list when I pull the motor are
-Performance radiator and hoses
- high cfm fan
- thermostat
- plugs
- coil packs
- Motor mounts
Old 12-21-2015, 08:01 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sandmanbjj
Added the mounts to my list. Currently on my replace list when I pull the motor are
-Performance radiator and hoses
- high cfm fan
- thermostat
- plugs
- coil packs
- Motor mounts
Pretty excited. I ordered my long block from MMR. I also ordered the 7qt oil pan. A few other things I will need to do the install.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:59 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Post some pictures
Old 12-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

I will be taking full before and after pics.. and I'm sure asking a bunch of questions as I go. This will be my first engine swap.
I just got the 4.6L forged, trick flow heads, stage 2 cam, roller rockers.
I didn't want to stray from the 4.6L 2v too much since it's my daily driver and it will be almost plug and play. And I have never done a swap before.

Quick Reply: Long block install questions