4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Can't get my car out of park.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 12:59 PM
iHydro

Default Can't get my car out of park.

So my car wouldn't shift one morning. I noticed that when j was holding my break down with the engine warmed up i could see some smoke coming from my hood. I figured it was my master cylinder leaking. Keep in mind my brakes have some resistance to them right now. So I replaced my master cylinder thinking I would need to eventually. I bled the cylinder before I installed it on my car.. Then j went ahead and tried to bleed my brakes starting from the rear. Pumping the brakes then holding it and releasing the air. 3 or 4 times each wheel.. My brakes have me risitance on them. I could push it to the floor with my pinky finger. Can anyone give me some advise as to why this could be happening. And if there is something else I should look at.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:18 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you are not finished bleeding the brakes. Does the '01 Mustang share the brake fluid reservoir with the clutch like the later models? Sorry just not familiar with that generation of Mustang. If so you may also have to bleed the clutch to get all that air out.

As far as not being able to shift out of park. Are your brake lights illuminating when you step on the brake pedal? There's an interlock that prevents shifting out of park unless there is brake light voltage present.

If no brake lights, it could be related to air in the brake lines if there's a pressure switch. If the switch is mechanically activated, it may have failed or there's a bad brake light fuse.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:39 PM
97dustang

could be that the replacement master cylinder is bad, take it off, bench bleed it, then cap off where the lines go and see if you can press in on the master cylinder. if you cannot press it in that means its working properly, remove caps and install on car and bleed the crap out of those brakes! start with the right rear, left rear, front right, then front left. you should then have good pedal. Like what WJBertrand said, check the brake lights to make sure your switch is activating properly.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:20 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

You still have air in the lines.
The advice 97 mention should do the trick
Old 01-17-2016, 04:55 PM
iHydro

Originally Posted by WJBertrand
Sounds like you are not finished bleeding the brakes. Does the '01 Mustang share the brake fluid reservoir with the clutch like the later models? Sorry just not familiar with that generation of Mustang. If so you may also have to bleed the clutch to get all that air out.

As far as not being able to shift out of park. Are your brake lights illuminating when you step on the brake pedal? There's an interlock that prevents shifting out of park unless there is brake light voltage present.

If no brake lights, it could be related to air in the brake lines if there's a pressure switch. If the switch is mechanically activated, it may have failed or there's a bad brake light fuse.

My brake lights do not light up and I've checked all my fuses with a tester that lights up the junky the I couldnt check was the relays
Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 PM
97dustang

its probably the actual switch, check for power at the switch, step on the pedal to activate switch and see if the power is coming out the other side. (maybe someone can chime in if im wrong here but im pretty sure this is a hot switch, not a switch to ground) its located at the top of your brake pedal