4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TOB SPIINING

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Ayeecole

Angry TOB SPIINING

HELLO SHOULD MY THROUT BEARING BE SPINNING IN NEUTRAL/SHOULD IT BE TOUCHING CLUTCH TEETH? I HAVE A 63" CLUTCH CABLE I BELIVE FROM PEPBOYS OTHER CLUTCH CABLES ARE TOO LONG. & CLUTCH FORK SHAKING ?

PLEASE HELP THANK YOU
Old 03-02-2016, 07:10 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Yes the TOB should be against the clutch, they call for a bit of preload other wise they wont disengage fully. As for the shaking, that could be a worn pilot bearing or input shaft bearing. Possibly even a bad or broken input bearing retainer sleeve/TOB slider.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Ayeecole

Okay cause i replaced everything clutch, TOB, PB RESURFACED FKYWHEEL.IM GRINDING ONLY IN SECOND GEAR CAN IT BE I OVERFILLED TRANSMISSION FLUID OR I NEED THICKER FLUID ? SYNCRO?
Old 03-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Ayeecole

Exclamation

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Yes the TOB should be against the clutch, they call for a bit of preload other wise they wont disengage fully. As for the shaking, that could be a worn pilot bearing or input shaft bearing. Possibly even a bad or broken input bearing retainer sleeve/TOB slider.
Okay cause i replaced everything clutch, TOB, PB RESURFACED FKYWHEEL.IM GRINDING ONLY IN SECOND GEAR CAN IT BE I OVERFILLED TRANSMISSION FLUID OR I NEED THICKER FLUID ? SYNCRO??
Old 03-02-2016, 08:44 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

You may need to take a little more slack out of the cable. Can you easily select 2nd gear while sitting still with the car idling? If it only grinds while up shifting or down shifting into 2nd while driving then you most likely have a worn synchro and its time for a rebuild.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:46 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Oh and I hope you used ATF to fill the transmission and not gear oil. It should only take a little less than a gallon of fluid off the top of my head.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Ayeecole

Originally Posted by dawson1112
You may need to take a little more slack out of the cable. Can you easily select 2nd gear while sitting still with the car idling? If it only grinds while up shifting or down shifting into 2nd while driving then you most likely have a worn synchro and its time for a rebuild.
the cable the problem ? yes i can easily select second gear in neutral while car is running but when i go from third and drop it in second gear it do not grind at all! it only grind if i hit high rmps it wont grind if i wait a bit it's really pissing me off cause this never happen before i did my clutch .
Old 03-03-2016, 01:26 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Take a little more slack out of the cable and see if it helps.

You can do this by pushing the clutch pedal to the floor and holding the quadrent with a screw driver lift the pedal slowly you will hear a click. 1-2 clicks should make the clutch disengage sooner on the pedal. It will be easier to do if you remove the front seat as you will have to lay on your side on the floor to reach up to where the pedal is.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Ayeecole

okay it would of been a syncro if i can't get it in gear while idling or it still can ? & okay im a try to do that and see what happens do i just stick the screw driver in the holes of the quad and slowly pick up the clutch pedal, what exactly is this doing ?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:39 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

It still could be a synchro, but usually when the synchro starts to go it grinds on downshifts as well as upshifts, not just at high rpm shifts.

Basically what your going to do is pull the cable a little tighter on the clutch fork. This is going to make the clutch disengage more fully from the flywheel. Its a lot easier to do if you have a buddy who can get under the car and hold the clutch fork with a crow bar while you do it, but it can be done by your self with a large screw driver..

When you push the pedal down to the floor its going to pull the quadrant forward. You need to use a screw driver to hold the quadrant in place while you lift the pedal a little bit till it clicks once or twice I would only go 1 click at a time in your case since I think your almost where you need to be. If you go to far your clutch may slip. When you get under the dash spend a little time getting aquanted with how the mechanism works when you push the pedal. You will see how to hold the quadrant after you understand how it all works. Its a pia the first time you do it but after you figure out what your doing its not so hard. Just hard to do by your self.

Quick Reply: TOB SPIINING