4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Close to the "finish line"

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 05:07 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Just an update. It took me 4 days, a bunch of cussing and a bunch of broken tools to get 1 bolt out of the bellhousing. And 1 bolt out of the drive shaft.
What I expected to be a weekend job has now spanned over 2 weeks.
I don't know what they used to put that bolt in but I know it was torqued way too much. I had all this stuff out less than a year ago, and after getting it check out and a problem fixed they must have used the world's strongest impact driver on full speed to put these bolts in.
I ended up getting the bolts out of the drive shaft with heat, pb blaster, and a bunch of muscle.
The last bolt in the bellhousing housing (passenger side bottom bolt) ended up using all the above mentioned and finally drilled out the entire bolt. Now I can start to move on. More pics soon.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:44 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Finally moving on. Motor and transmission out.

Finally pulling it out.

Time to start cleaning it up.

Hanging on the hoist.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:36 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Looking good, are going to take some time and clean the engine bay a bit?
Old 04-27-2016, 08:12 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WJL
Looking good, are going to take some time and clean the engine bay a bit?
My original goal was to be done in a weekend. Hahah. But I bought an f250 and now I have something to drive while I take my time. So I'm going to clean the engine bay, it's soaking with degreaser now.
I'm going to look for and try to replace frayed or damages wiring, replace anything that looks like it is going to break. Which I broke a few things getting the motor out.
Since it is 16 years old all the plastic is super brittle. So I'm replacing a lot of junk. Which will slow me down as I need to be able to buy new parts.
I'm also making sure I take my time to do anything I may need under the hood while the motor is out. Its so much easier with all this room.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:18 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Can't wait to see that motor in the car
Old 05-11-2016, 07:29 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Just a few more pics of my slooooow progress.

Valve covers, oil pan and timing coverd on. About to install the pilot bearing, fly wheel and clutch kit.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:30 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Dude that looks great, cam covers look real good, the yellows a nice touch matching the car.

So when does it go in?
Old 05-12-2016, 06:39 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WJL
Dude that looks great, cam covers look real good, the yellows a nice touch matching the car.

So when does it go in?
I had to order a few parts. Water pump, starter and power steering pump. Also the block bearings, I tore them up pulling them out the old block. So I should have it ready to put in next week.
I will be putting the block plate, fly wheel, and clutch kit on this weekend.
The valve covers I did with wrinkle paint and enamel. It's not perfect but it looks good.

Last edited by Sandmanbjj; 05-12-2016 at 06:44 AM. Reason: More info
Old 05-16-2016, 08:30 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Waiting on some parts. But got the flywheel on and then changed the pivot bolt, clutch fork, and throw out bearing.
I had terrible squeaking from my clutch, it looks like my throw out bearing cracked. I don't have a pic but I will post one. Here's my flywheel and old vs new pivot bolt.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:34 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Hey just an FYI, from reading a lot of post on this forum, everyone is saying buy the OEM throw out bearing they say even the FORD Racing is not as good as OEM.

I don't have personal experience with it but i'm telling you i have read this on at least 25 or more posts.

Good luck, can't wait to see it finished

Quick Reply: Close to the "finish line"