4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Close to the "finish line"

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Currently I have the engine in, transmission bolted on, headers bolted on, starter bolted on, drive shaft and exhaust bolted on.

I was not able to get the transmission and motor dropped in all together. My hoist wasn't big enough to reach. I did leave the driver side header on when I lowered it in.

I thought this would be faster. But its been way more time consuming than I expected. Probably because im changing way more than just the motor.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:40 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

How tough was it to bolt the right side header?
Old 06-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WJL
How tough was it to bolt the right side header?
I jacked up the motor on the right side as far as I could without crushing anything. And I was able to get to most of the bolts. It took about 2 hours with the help of my neighbors kid I recruited to hold things. Mind you I have a tubular k member, have the car on jack stands so I was on my back.
All in all it got done but I don't want to do it again.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Upper intake in place

Got the new steering rack and shaft about in. Just nend to connect the shaft to the rack. The upper intake is seated and bolted in... things should speed up from point.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:00 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Getting tired of these updates? I apologize if you are. But I'm almost tracking my own progress here so I don't forget anything.
I have the throttle body, plenum, AC compressor, Power Steering pump, Alternator all bolted on. All the coil packs are in and connected, most of the sensors are connected. Fuel lines are connected and clutch cable is connected
I'm going to get the rest of the harness connected up. Throttle cable Then the new radiator and new resivour. Then the CAI, nitrous lines. Then all the fluids, oil, power steering fluid, coolant, windshield washer fluid. Ha. And put the right tune in
I'm excited it's getting close.
Before I do fire it up though I'm going to try and put my hands on every nut and bolt I can to double check. Don't want to blow up this motor over something stupid.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:59 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

New radiator and resivour are bolted in. Lines hooked up. About 95% of the senors are connected. Just need to do the O2 sensors under the car and the ones connected to the MAF.
Then a few odds and ends and fluids. Im pumped.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:39 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Done. Fluids are in. Everything is bolted back together. I will put the tires on, drop it to the floor and fire it up this weekend.
Only issue I have is the steering shaft isn't connecting to the steering gear. I will probably do a Tiny bit of grinding on the edge to make it fit. Then clamp it down with the pinch bolt.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:51 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

You got to be fired up, is the reservoir new, looks real good
Old 06-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

I'm stoked. And yes the resivour is new.
My original plan was just the MMR long block swap and be done.
I ended up putting a bunch of new parts. Some because it was just going to be easier and most because I broke so much crap.
So new radiator, resivour, power mmr steering pump, power steering resivour, MMR water pump, steering Rack and steering shaft.
I plan to fire it up Friday. I will post results.

Last edited by Sandmanbjj; 06-23-2016 at 10:21 PM. Reason: More info
Old 06-24-2016, 12:36 PM
chipss36

Its friday..

Tapping fingers......
Just kiddin, tell us how it goes.

I was so close, adding fluids, and thought I was there, but had issues. ... so another week or two.

Quick Reply: Close to the "finish line"