4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Misfire Help 02 GT CEL Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:05 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackBetty02GT
Also I want a suggestion, if I want to go ahead and put a new intake manifold on now, but not put the $650-$900 out for a trick flow manifold is there another one that you recommend that would be a nice upgrade that wont hit me so hard in the pockets, thanks.
out of all the plastic intakes the ford units are the best as far as quality goes, the dormans are built cheap, and though they may not fail, they are more restrictive than the stock piece. the trick flow intake is too expensive for the gains that can be had from it IMO. it is basically an aftermarket version of the 01 bullitt OE intake, the bullitt only had something like 15-20 more hp than the stock gt, and the dollar per HP ratio on that mod is not good, and like WJL said, most other high flow aftermarket intakes will cost you low end torque, even the trick flow heads seem like a good idea, till you look at where the gains are made(+90hp if i remember right), all on the top end, low end torque actually suffers. i did all the same research and decided that my best path would be a twin screw supercharger (+140hp). the cost of the supercharger is only slightly more that trick flow heads and cams. but i gained more power and had to make no sacrifice to my torque curve. you can make good power out of the 2v platform, but forced induction of some kind is the way to go if you want to see results for the money you spend.

^^^^^(my car )you wont get anything close to a torque curve like this with TFS heads, those heads make great power up to 7000rpm, on the street they make you slower. but a built engine with TFS heads in combination with a supercharger or turbo setup, is bound to be a monster, but for the $15k investment (including building the shortblock)it better lol.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:20 PM
BlackBetty02GT

that is something to think about I know my uncle is a master mechanic and has a 91' GT that has 550hp N/A and that was stroked bored over .60, and reworked the heads and he said about what you said i would hold off on the heads and get a supercharger for it, so now to experts are giving me the same advice i better listen lol. I would def. want to rework my heads or just put some new stock ones on and maybe new pistons n and rings before putting the supercharger on just to make sure the motor is ready to handle it, but I do need to replace the intake manifold since mine is going bad and cracked, so you think that the Ford Racing is the way to go? I wanted to get away from plastic but i dont want my low end torque to suffer that is what makes the stangs fund is that torque, also I know this might be a questions that sounds stupid, but I have never done supercharger before do you remove the intake manifold and replace it with the charger or does it mount to the manifold like the plenum and throttle body does, i just didnt know if you were telling me to maybe look at a super charger and avoid getting the intake as well, and thanks for being patient with me and answering all my questions.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:35 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i would stick with a ford, plastic replacement, to be honest. if you go with a blower style supercharger like i have,

the stock manifold is removed, and the new one is integral to the blower. you reuse, or upgrade your throttle body. also forget any type of under drive pulleys, they will have to be reverted back to stock for this style supercharger as well. as far as the engine goes, a compression test should be performed to see if there are any weak cylinders, this style was designed to work with a stock engine at 9psi. a port and polish job to the heads will only help with performance, but isnt needed.

Last edited by jwog666; 04-29-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:40 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

a few more pics....

Old 04-29-2016, 08:41 PM
BlackBetty02GT

Like this one http://www.americanmuscle.com/intake-manifold.html
Old 04-29-2016, 08:42 PM
BlackBetty02GT

Man I am so jealous I think I just got a chubby in my pants lmbo!!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:05 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackBetty02GT
yeah thats the one

Man I am so jealous I think I just got a chubby in my pants lmbo!!
lol
Old 04-29-2016, 11:07 PM
BlackBetty02GT

I always said if I did a supercharger it would be a Kenne Bell I have always loved their performance and sound.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:39 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

its a blast to drive, kinda fun to walk a newer gt with the 5.0. had one come running up on me as i was slowing to turn onto the highway, got into it and walked him up to 85 before i let off, man did he look suprised lol
Old 04-30-2016, 01:24 AM
BlackBetty02GT

I bet he was shocked and thought what the hell lmbo. That is always awesome, to go with your story something funny the other day me and my fiancee was washing our cars the car wash last weekend and she was vacuuming hers out while i was washing mine and this ricer pulls up on a like 99-00 honda accord with a fart can and a intake on it all revving up when he pulled in, so we happen to finish washing our cars right around the same time, and he gets in his car fires it up and starts revving up in the car wash i guess because of the echo lol, and I was like ohhhh yeaaah, i jumped in mine fired it up and gave it about 4 good thunderous revs and he shut it up quick and left, I looked back and my fiancee was shaking her head and said you are crazy I knew you were going to do that, but yours was so much louder than his and sounded good his just sound like a crappy noise lmbo, I loved it if only I had a camera rolling at that moment.

Quick Reply: Misfire Help 02 GT CEL Flashing