4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

mmr kit issues

Old 05-20-2016, 10:08 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

Default mmr kit issues

ok I got all my new bolts in strapped it all down guess what.... I got pistons impacting the GDMFSOB crank every piston is hitting and/or scraping the crank when the piston is at compete decompression 1-8.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:30 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

call them up, verify the part numbers are correct, then verify that you assembled it correctly. mmr has a top notch reputation. but mis packaging happens to the best. double check everything.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

You assembled the shortblock yourself? I applaud your effort and bravery in doing so, but for the exact reason that due to inexperience I'd find a way to f**k something up and possibly have to start over is why I would pay the extra money for an assembled short or longblock.

Good luck, hopefully you don't have to tear it all back down again to find what's wrong.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

I've torn this motor down 4 times past week thats easy, only issue I've had is MMR said everything would fit and be weighted no machining needed. I've had to grind my block in 3 places and now the crank is impacting pistons I maybe have a 1/16 inch of clearance in my whole block between crank/block and pistons in no way is this a simple drop in kit. I'm on my 5th disassemble as we speak thank god I bought all reusable bolts.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

well so much for piston notching .... they only did one side the smaller port still hit the piston and have made their own notches and now I have a whole head froze cam wont turn.....
Old 05-21-2016, 05:50 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I have built quite a few short blocks with MMR kits and never had a problem. Are you sure everything is is facing the correct way? Are you sure you told MMR the correct block you have.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:43 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

told them 02 romeo gt , doesn't really matter atm now that I have a cam that wont move even with rollers taken out, now I will have to take my passenger head to someone and with my income that will just never happen so I guess I'm done.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:11 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drastang
told them 02 romeo gt , doesn't really matter atm now that I have a cam that wont move even with rollers taken out, now I will have to take my passenger head to someone and with my income that will just never happen so I guess I'm done.
Clearly something is not correct. Just seems like if I bought a "kit" and something didn't fit right i would have stopped and called the maker of the kit before I just started grinding stuff.
I'm not saying MMR didn't make an error but I wouldn't think their kit would need the amount of grinding you posted about.
What has MMR said about all of this?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:04 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

I did contact them about the block grinding they said it was a known romeo issue.

at this point I can only guess I had my timing off some how on my passenger head and not my driver... even though all my marks lined up. even then I should still not have impact issues if my pistons where to be notched right? my head is ruined on my passenger side the cam struggles to rotate even with the cam caps off.

when i seated the passenger cam caps it simply bent them due to the lifter impacting piston*

i even went back and rotated each piston to opposite cylinder to make sure i didn't have the pistons on wrong banks... had it right first time.

Last edited by Drastang; 05-21-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:44 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

If you were turning it by hand there is no way you could have damaged the head. Did you put the cam caps back exactly where they came off? Did you put the cams in the correct heads?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mmr kit issues