4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mach 460 aftermarket radio install

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:20 PM
studerman1

Default Mach 460 aftermarket radio install

I have the mach 460 in my 98 gt. I have some nice subs and a pioneer head unit. Everything is installed and works but I cannot seem to uses any of the stock speakers. only the 4 tweeters work it sounds alright but i would like to have all the speakers work. if anybody has it working I would be greatfull if you could post your setup.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:25 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by studerman1
I have the mach 460 in my 98 gt. I have some nice subs and a pioneer head unit. Everything is installed and works but I cannot seem to uses any of the stock speakers. only the 4 tweeters work it sounds alright but i would like to have all the speakers work. if anybody has it working I would be greatfull if you could post your setup.
The mach 460 is a pain in the butt. You have 2 amps behind the back seat that control all the stock speakers. If you want to add subs or an amp you have to start from scratch
Old 06-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

pioneer head unit. Everything is installed and works but I cannot seem to uses any of the stock speakers
The Stock radio runs directly to all of the speakers except the subs, if some of the regular speakers are not working it sounds like they are wired incorrectly. Has this worked in the past?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:40 PM
studerman1

I put the stock radio back in today and it seems like it was just very quiet but all the speakers were working
Old 06-09-2016, 05:48 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by studerman1
I put the stock radio back in today and it seems like it was just very quiet but all the speakers were working
You cant just add a sub tof the system. Unless it's a self powered sub. However if you do the self powered sub you won't have control over your sub from your head unot like you would normally.

My suggestion, either upgrade the stock speakers and live with whatever sound you get from that or pull the stock amps out, put new amps in and wire the speakers to the new amps. It's like putting in a new system. But you will bypass that 460 wiring set up
Old 06-09-2016, 06:09 AM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

did you make any changes to the wiring through the car? mine was a 460 and I rewired the whole car to make mine work properly, I talked to a shop b4 I did it and they told me to make a choice between either the tweeters or the speakers one or the other, or it would make the whole system weaker because I would have to create a custom set up for the tweeters and it would split 250 watts accost 8 speakers not just 4. so I would unplug tweets and see if it sounds better.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:23 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drastang
did you make any changes to the wiring through the car? mine was a 460 and I rewired the whole car to make mine work properly, I talked to a shop b4 I did it and they told me to make a choice between either the tweeters or the speakers one or the other, or it would make the whole system weaker because I would have to create a custom set up for the tweeters and it would split 250 watts accost 8 speakers not just 4. so I would unplug tweets and see if it sounds better.
I pulled out the stock speakers, and put some 4 way speakers in. I eliminated the separate tweeters. And the tweeters up by the window I just left them unhooked.
I put an amp under the back seat and ran my hot lead direct from the battery, under the carpet to the amp. I ran my switch lead from the back of the head unit under the carpet to the amp along with the RCA Jack's. I ran speaker wires direct to each speaker under the carpet.
The hardest part was getting the wire through the tunnel to the door speakers.
I left all the factory wires in place. But not connected.

Last edited by Sandmanbjj; 06-09-2016 at 01:24 PM. Reason: More info