4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

P1000 code won't pass emissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 07:01 PM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Default P1000 code won't pass emissions

This is the first year I have not passed emissions with this car. Not sure if it has to do with the new cams or not. Info from emissions center states OBD is not ready. The shop installed defoulers on the car and turn the rear O2 sensors on. The car has no check engine lights. I have run the car under various driving situations for almost 200 miles and it still wont pass. I do not have cats on the car, but have never had an issue with passing emissions until now. Any suggestions????
Old 08-29-2016, 08:28 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

I'd say it's the new cams.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:15 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i doubt that its the cams, but who knows, obd2 monitors must all run and pass in order for the p1000 code to clear, if you clear codes, or have done any egr deletes, or are running a cooler thermostat, have a bad fuel level sender, etc this will prevent 1 or more monitors from running. the best bet is to go to a shop that has a good scan tool, they will be able to tell you what monitors have run, and which ones havent. then all you have to do is figure out the criteria for running the monitors that have not run yet, and pinpoint what isnt being met.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:45 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
i doubt that its the cams, but who knows, obd2 monitors must all run and pass in order for the p1000 code to clear, if you clear codes, or have done any egr deletes, or are running a cooler thermostat, have a bad fuel level sender, etc this will prevent 1 or more monitors from running. the best bet is to go to a shop that has a good scan tool, they will be able to tell you what monitors have run, and which ones havent. then all you have to do is figure out the criteria for running the monitors that have not run yet, and pinpoint what isnt being met.
Of the 5 OBD monitors I need to pass only two are not ready. Catalyst and EGR. I get why the catalyst may not be ready only because I am running no cats, but have not had an issue before. The EGR is what is throwing me off. I have driven the car in a variety of driving situations, from stop and go to highway for close to 300 miles. Otherwise the car has not changed except for the recent cam install. The shop installed defoulers but still not able to pass.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:10 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scooter3
Of the 5 OBD monitors I need to pass only two are not ready. Catalyst and EGR. I get why the catalyst may not be ready only because I am running no cats, but have not had an issue before. The EGR is what is throwing me off. I have driven the car in a variety of driving situations, from stop and go to highway for close to 300 miles. Otherwise the car has not changed except for the recent cam install. The shop installed defoulers but still not able to pass.
EGR 8. From a stop, accelerate to 72 Km/h (45 MPH) at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat 3 times.

^^^^^this is how to get the egr monitor to run,

Catalyst 7. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 40 to 72 Km/h (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period.

^^^^and catalyst

give that a try and see, i imagine that you have not turned off the rear 02 sensors, and have just used spark plug defoulers, or mil eliminators to trick the pcm into passing? if the catalyst monitor was the issue it would have set a code already, it has to be that the monitors have not run yet, they are pass fail
Old 08-31-2016, 10:28 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
EGR 8. From a stop, accelerate to 72 Km/h (45 MPH) at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat 3 times.

^^^^^this is how to get the egr monitor to run,

Catalyst 7. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 40 to 72 Km/h (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period.

^^^^and catalyst

give that a try and see, i imagine that you have not turned off the rear 02 sensors, and have just used spark plug defoulers, or mil eliminators to trick the pcm into passing? if the catalyst monitor was the issue it would have set a code already, it has to be that the monitors have not run yet, they are pass fail
Hey thanks man I appreciate it. I was planning on driving the car over the next couple of days to see if I can get this code to go away. I will try these. The shop had the rear O2 sensors turned off, but added the defoulers and turned them back on. Weird thing is that I have not had cats for some time and never had a check engine light and passed emissions so I assume it has something to do with the EGR.