4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone use theses Accel Super coil

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 12:47 PM
dlee
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone use theses Accel Super coil

I was wondering if any of you have used these Accel coil packs before, good/ bad?
I am thinking of ordering a set, I need to change the spark plugs, thought I would change these out at the same time

Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2016, 02:01 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

never used them but.........there are a lot of posts/threads where people have experienced premature failure of these within a year or 2. the general opinion is that the OE ford coils are the best. they can be found for cheap on amazon if you search for the ford motorcraft part number (DG508). be aware that it will also bring up cheap knockoffs as well. only buy the ones pictured in the morotcraft bag/box. im sure somebody will come on and say they had good luck with them, and can feel a major power gain, but that is garbage. there is no power gain to be had by increasing the max voltage output from an ignition coil, unless you are running forced induction and need the added voltage to jump the gap under boost.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:24 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

+1, stick with oem. And unless there is an issue with your current coils then replacing them is unlikely to make any sort of difference besides $$ exiting your bank account.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:46 PM
dlee
1st Gear Member

Based on what I've seen & heard, these will increase HP 7-8, dyno tested
Also increased fuel mileage.
Positive reviews on several sites... Nothing wrong with the ones I have, just need to change the spark plugs, 93,000 miles, thought I would go with a matched set of plugs & coils.
I ordered them several days ago, I'll let you know after install
Thanks for the input...but I got to try them out!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:14 PM
stevenn1

I considered them but there were lots of bad reviews on Amazon.

I just bought some MSD 82428 Blaster coils for my '02 GT. They do come with a boot but no screw. I haven't put them on yet....
Old 09-13-2016, 06:49 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

They also say UDP's are +7 or 8 hp. Good luck noticing a difference.

Dunno dude, I've heard mostly negative about MSD, Accel etc aftermarket "performance" coils (I seem to recall Granatelli being the worst of the bunch), mostly longevity related. Think Cliffy had some testing and research on most of the popular aftermarket brands and an extensive write up on his website, I'll try to go and look it up. If you put 'em on and they kick all sorts of *** be sure to let us know. Put your stock ones away in a box somewhere just in case.

Last edited by Z28KLR; 09-13-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:25 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
They also say UDP's are +7 or 8 hp. Good luck noticing a difference.

Dunno dude, I've heard mostly negative about MSD, Accel etc aftermarket "performance" coils (I seem to recall Granatelli being the worst of the bunch), mostly longevity related. Think Cliffy had some testing and research on most of the popular aftermarket brands and an extensive write up on his website, I'll try to go and look it up. If you put 'em on and they kick all sorts of *** be sure to let us know. Put your stock ones away in a box somewhere just in case.

he sure did>>>>>>https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...rm-report.html

i asked him a while back in a pm, and after all he tested, the OE coils were the only ones that didnt fail withing a year or 2
Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

those are great coils, for about 5 minutes. it's a coil. it makes your spark plug spark. not going to give you any tremendous HP gain. I tried them once because they were cheap and I had to replace a few coils, figured at that price i can do them all. but due to no warranty on "performance" parts, i saved nothing. OE replacement coils lasted till that one was out of my life.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:42 AM
dlee
1st Gear Member

Well, I went ahead and installed new Accel plugs and the Accel Super coils this morning, took it out for a test ride after, all I can say is WOW! Definitively noticed the difference.
The spark plugs I took out where original, about 93,000 miles. I will let you know how they hold up

Old 09-25-2016, 01:08 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I have a feeling the positive difference you noticed has more to do with replacing the plugs (93K is a solid 43K longer than they should have been in there) but if you're happy then I'm stoked for you as well.