4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

02 Mustang GT w/procharger jumping belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Lkin02gt

Default 02 Mustang GT w/procharger jumping belt

So I have an 02 GT with a procharger and today I got on it a few times and it sounded as if the belt would slip at higher RPM. When I got back to the house I got out and heard a chirping/ belt squeaking didn't sound right. So I killed it opened hood and noticed the belt had jumped one groove off A/C Compressor I put back on and the noise went away. Test drive it got it back up to around 5200-5500rpm came back and same thing the belt jumped one groove. What could be causing this? A bad tensioner? It seems I don't have to put a whole lot of effort on the tensioner when I am putting the belt back on. I have never had this problem before and now all of a sudden it don't it twice now. Any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 03-03-2017, 06:55 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Welcome aboard!!

How old is the belt and did it run true before it started jumping??

If the tensioner bounces around a lot at idle I'd suspect it may be weak??
Old 03-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Lkin02gt

Unsure how old belt is. I've had the car for about a month now. Had no issues until yesterday. I went ahead and ordered a new tensioner and will get new belt. Once I put on I will update if problem is solved. Thanks