4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My 2002 Mach I GT Bullitt Convertible

Old 02-04-2017, 06:33 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Default My 2002 Mach I GT Bullitt Convertible

Ford didn't build one so I built it myself. I finally got my Frankenstein convertible back from paint and close to being finished so thought I'd share a few pictures of the fruits of my labor.

With the Mach I gadgetry it's a party up front and with the shaved deck lid and Bulllitt side scoop deletes it's business in the rear. An inverted mullet, if you will.

Last edited by fastbackford351; 02-04-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:46 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn, looks good.

So which gauge cluster/overlay are you using?

Also what type of windshield washer fluid??
Old 02-04-2017, 07:09 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I have a Bullitt cluster that was brand new when I bought it and was actually my first mod. That and the Mach pedals & Bullitt brakes.

Weasel whizz makes glass sparkle.

Last edited by fastbackford351; 02-06-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:26 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Great job there!!!

Enjoy!!!
Old 02-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Nice indeed.Do those side scoop delete panels just snap into the old GT scoop body holes?
Old 02-06-2017, 07:55 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Thank you. That's kind of you to say.
Yes those are factory Bullitt scoop deletes so they use the same mounting holes as the scoops. There is a guy on Ebay who makes repops that use double stick tape and from the reviews I read, they fit real well too and are a lot cheaper but I'm kind of a stickler for factory parts when I can be.

One of the toss ins that the paint shop did for me was to paint my grill delete and chin spoiler with a flex paint so I won't have to ArmorAll it all the time. I have 2 shaker setups so I had him paint my other one kind of a satin black to match the grill/spoiler and it looks pretty sweet so I have that one on there now. I like the silver stripes on the ribs but I'm afraid to mess with my freshly painted shaker.

I love the extra power and even having done a Mark VIII Intech swap prior, I still got an education doing this whole Mach 1ish project. For instance, this engine has an 8 bolt crank which means it was from a standard shift car so I believe that means that it is forged. Goody for me. But I didn't count on that and planned on using the Mark VIII 6 bolt plate. I beat my head against the wall for a week trying to find one and wasn't sure that there was even such a thing as an 8 bolt automatic flex plate. But lo and behold a call to MPS solved that problem. They knew right away what I needed and informed me that using the flex plate out of a 99/00 Cobra automatic is the winning combination. 30.00 plus 15.00 shipping and that was that.

I still need to install the Mach 1 cruise control module because that is a different animal and not interchangeable with the original GT /Mark VIII motor module I was using before the engine swap.

MPS Auto Salvage out of Atlanta proved to be an invaluable source of parts and knowledge. Shout out to Billy and his posse there.

Last edited by fastbackford351; 02-07-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info.I'm probably a decade late in finding NOS Ford spoil delete panels.I've never liked the phony scoops on my GT-side or hood.I could live without the rear spoiler too.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:17 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I felt the same way. I love the lines of the 99-04 but I was getting real tired of all the boy racer scoops & the spoiler just didn't do me the way it use to either so I went with the 'less is more' school of thought as far as that went.

I actually ran across the Bullitt scoop deletes while dripping around on craigslist. MPS advertised them in the Daytona Beach area (??) so I gave them a call and that's how I learned about MPS. They were off of a Bullitt that had gotten clobbered and about the only Bullitt specific parts left in tact were the scoops.

Today I received my new lights from CJ's. I kissed the ugly baby and bought an NOS set of smoked headlights and an NOS 3rd brake light. The ones in the pictures were 60.00 repops that fit like crap and worked even worse. At night it was like driving with two fireflies strapped to the bumper. Of course the NOS stuff fits like a glove and it is amazing how much that new 3rd brake light tightens up the look of the back end.

Last edited by fastbackford351; 02-07-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:27 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

details on the engine/drivetrain mods?

paint looks good...i care more about the go fast parts however lol
Old 02-09-2017, 12:27 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

It's a bone stock engine pulled from an 03 Mach I. I do have an SCT X4 and I put the canned Mach I tune on it but didn't like the way it drove after that. It had a bit more power but the drivability suffered especially at slower speeds. It seemed to 'chug' an awful lot so I removed that tune and went back to stock which is still a serious upgrade over the stock Mark VIII engine that was in there.

As soon as my wallet recovers a little bit, I'm going to have it tuned while on the dyno and see what we can get. Anymore, I don't really care as much about running ***** out as I do finding a happy medium between performance & drivability.

Search this Thread