4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:27 PM
Ashley Cisneros

Default Need help please

I'm not sure how to word this lol but how much fluid does the differential use on my car? It's a 2003 mustang gt 4.6l motor, 5 speed tranny.. And what could be the problem if the shifter keeps getting kicked out of gear while I'm driving?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:22 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

Not sure about the shifter (synchros maybe?), but the axle takes about 2 quarts of fluid, plus friction modifier.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:22 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

You just fill the differential untill its coming out of the fill hole about 2quarts plus a few ozs of friction modifier.

A for the shifter popping out of gear, that is usually an indication that the slider hub is badly worn, or the synchro assembly keys are broken or the spring that holds them in place is broken. It could be caused by a broken or bent shift fork as well. But usually it would be in just 1 or 2 of the gears. If its kicking out in every gear it could simply just be missing the shifter cup bushing is missing or broken. You can check that by removing the shifter from the top of the transmission and inspect the shifter cup to see of the nylon bushing is in place. Also if you have an after market short throw shifter it may not be adjusted properly.