4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2003 Mustang Gt

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:04 PM
Adrian Gd Romeo

Default 2003 Mustang Gt

Hello Everyone, I have a 2003 mustang Gt. I am expericeing this clunk either when i shift gears or when i acc and let go of the gas. i hear it coming from the center. I changed the Tranny Mount, and i checked the u joints and they were fine. Don't know what else it can be. If happens when i let off the clutch. It gets really annoying. Some Tranny Mechanics say its normal in those cars and others say that to change the Tranny Fluid from ATF to Gear oil. HELP!
Old 03-29-2017, 02:26 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

DO NOT PUT GEAR OIL IN THAT TRANSMISSION!!!! You will destroy it if you do, the friction material in the synchronizer assemblys will not handle gear oil, and the tight tolerances of the various components the the transmission are not designed for such a thick oil. Its not normal for these transmissions to clunk!!!

Check for slop at the output shaft by trying to move the drive shaft front yoke where it goes into the trans. There should be no play, but those rear tail output shaft bushing can wear out and cause noise. Also check for slop at the rear differential yoke where it goes into the rear differential,, worn pinion bearings will cause a clunk as well.

You could also have bad motor mount, or even worn rear gears. Its hard to tell with drive line noises where its coming from as any noise in the rear is transferred along the drive shaft and can sound like its coming from the trans.

Possible that you have a worn throwout bearing as well.

Last edited by dawson1112; 03-29-2017 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:08 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

+ 1 Million on NO GEAR OIL. MerconV ATF ONLY!!!

And I would definitely have motor mount(s) at the top of the list of things to check.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:05 PM
Adrian Gd Romeo

It also happens when i either go over a speed bump or a simple bump. I feel it. It usually comes from the Center of the car. I feel it on the shift ****. what the hell can it be? Its annoying
Old 03-30-2017, 07:18 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

You just have to start checking things out starting with the stuff I mentioned above. You can have someone sit in the car and sort of bump the clutch out while you watch to see if the motor jumps up on one side. It could also just be a part of the exhaust hitting somthing .
Old 03-30-2017, 08:36 AM
Adrian Gd Romeo

The motor mounts are good cause the motor does not go anywhere. the clutch is brand new. I checked the u joints and they do not have any sort of play. The drive shaft seems to be good. When i Acc or let go of the gas is when i hear the clunk. Also when i put the windows up to hear the sound more, i hear a none stop like noise coming from the shift know. Its not A loud one but you can hear it. Trans mount is new. Can not figure out what it can be. It also happens when i shift gears. But if i let go of the clutch slowly and press the gas a little i dont get the clunck.