Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-12-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
RodGT35th

Default Need Help,engine started missing once it warms up.

Had my 1999 GT 1 1/2 years now, 61000 miles, 5 speed. Anyway I baby this car, premium gas etc. Yesterday after it warmed up all of a sudden at low RPM under load only, the engine starts missing or skipping during acceleration. Once rpms are fairly high, most of the skipping/missing quits. I added a can of SEAFOAM and another tank of premium. I am getting NO check engine light. Plugs are still looking fine,don't believe they are fouling. Engine does hesitate slightly when you are in neutral and go to WOT. Sort of bogs out slightly,only slightly. However as stated earlier, under load only from 1 to 3000 RPM missing and skipping throughout acceleration.
Went out this morning took for her a spin. No problem while engine is cold. It ran fine, I thought the problem was gone. Then once it warmed up, BAM, it started again. HELP!!! Suggestions please.
I appreciate it.
Rod
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
K&N Filter
RodGT35th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:16 PM   #2
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 9700 Mustang GT
Default RE: Need Help,engine started missing once it warms up.

may be a coil pack goin bad.
Tim37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
sllt1776
1st Gear Member

i agree on those coil packs. it sounds like an electronic issue.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

You are probably still showing a code. It takes confirmed hard code to throw on the CEL. Sounds like an ignition problem, especially with your mileage and the symptoms you described. If they are original plugs, change them.

New coil pack will run about $65. They came down on price here recently.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
RodGT35th

If its a coil pack, would it show up as a code? Otherwise...1 of 8 to find!
I agree with you on the codes without CEL on. My old pre 96 code reader will show codes on my 93 ranger and 94 explorer without a CEL activation.
K&N Filter
Old 11-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #6
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Dan04COBRA

If it's intermittent like you say, then it probably won't make a light come on.

2004 GTO A4. 232/234 .595/.598 112lsa cam. ps lt's/springs/rockers/pushrods/no cats/original 40's. 350rwhp stock intake & paper filter. Next mods - 3600 stall/mvb/gears tbd/afr 205 heads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HTIzUUo_R0 Idle vid
10 CBR1000RR - Current
09 CBR600RR Phoenix - gone
04 Cobra - gone.
02 GT - gone.
Dan04COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:12 PM   #7
RodGT35th

I was thinking more about the coil issue. If I'm not mistaken,at least as far as transformers and solenoids go. When and inductance device fails, it fails. So even though I too believe it's an electrical problem. I just don't know where to begin without a code. I cleaned my MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner. I've got K&N filter on it. Had one on my 93 ranger for about 4 or 5 years. My MAF failed on my ranger and acted a lot like the Mustang. However I got a code light on my truck. I thinking those K&N filters get residual oil on the sensors??? Makes you wonder. I called Advance auto parts and asked them if they would hook up their code reader. They said not unless I was getting a check engine light.[:@] Thinking about going by and telling them it was on. Anyway I am still open to your comments Thank ya, Thank ya!
K&N Filter
Old 11-12-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
mxracer1618
1st Gear Member

i had a long *** thread on here awhile ago about my car doing that since i bought it. i did 1000 things to fix it.. i jus recentyl fixed it and i did the plug wires and coil packs in the same night then check all my replaced spark plugs and cleaned them up and one of them things worked cuz it runs perfect now. good luck with it
Old 11-12-2005, 11:27 PM   #9
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 Mustang GT

I'd check the alternator and battery first. If you're battery is 'bout dead, then it may siphon off too much juice until the alternator is spinning very fast. Or, the alt may be going. This could explain why the problem goes away at higher rpm.

Also, I'd look at the IAT sensor. This could explain why the problem occurs after warm up.

Let us know what you find out. You can make us all a little smarter.

Too many mods to list, but if it's from Steeda, it's either on or waiting to go on.
04BlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:34 PM   #10
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Dan04COBRA

BTW, there is no need for you to be using premium gas.

2004 GTO A4. 232/234 .595/.598 112lsa cam. ps lt's/springs/rockers/pushrods/no cats/original 40's. 350rwhp stock intake & paper filter. Next mods - 3600 stall/mvb/gears tbd/afr 205 heads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HTIzUUo_R0 Idle vid
10 CBR1000RR - Current
09 CBR600RR Phoenix - gone
04 Cobra - gone.
02 GT - gone.
Dan04COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:34 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1996, 1998, 2000, 2004, acceleration, car, engine, gt, load, misses, missing, motor, mustang, musytang, warmed, warms, wot