4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Automatic Trans/ Driveline Clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 01:18 PM
SIMV

Default Automatic Trans/ Driveline Clunk?

Alright guys, I went all the way back to page 12 and didn't find anything about this, so if it's been covered before I apologise.

I just bought a 2002 Automatic Gt with a shaker hood, ram air, 75mm throttle body, UDP's,superchip. 3.73 gears, X-pipe, and Magnaflow exhaust. I know I'm forgetting some stuff, but the upgrades are irrelivent... I just wanted to give you guys some background on the car.

Recently I noticed that when driving in overdrive and coasting at low speeds (usually 35 and below) it seems like the transmission doesn't know what gear it want's to be in and jerks a little bit. Sometimes it's so bad that it feels like the tail end of the tranny and the driveshaft is bouncing off the bottom of the car. What is the problem? Is this a common thing with GT's? Or should I book the first appointment to my local mechanic?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Automatic Trans/ Driveline Clunk?

Transmission mount broken?

I know some people have complained when swapping to a shorter rear gear, their automatic tranny seemed to struggle with knowing when to shift... Maybe a handheld tuner would help by adjusting your shift points?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:26 PM
SNORX302
1st Gear Member

i got the same problem too-02 gt with the aode-no mods-but around 30-40-there's some crazy bucking that it does. It makes a crazy popping noise from the rear diff-at least thats where it sounds it like its coming from.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:28 PM
SIMV

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Transmission mount broken?

I know some people have complained when swapping to a shorter rear gear, their automatic tranny seemed to struggle with knowing when to shift... Maybe a handheld tuner would help by adjusting your shift points?
The weird thing about it though is that it only happens when I'm in overdrive. When I turn it off, and shift manually it never happens. Is there a difference between the handheld tuners and the superchips custom tuning? The list of modifications that came with the car said (and this is exact): SCT Custom tuned by Jerry of ******* company ( I can't remember the name of the company right now).
Old 11-17-2005, 01:29 PM
SIMV

ORIGINAL: SNORX302

i got the same problem too-02 gt with the aode-no mods-but around 30-40-there's some crazy bucking that it does. It makes a crazy popping noise from the rear diff-at least thats where it sounds it like its coming from.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, but to me it seems like it's right under my seat.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:11 PM
SIMV

This thread doesn't seem to be getting much attention. Did I post it in the wrong place?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:15 PM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

i bet its the trans mount, i will almost guarantee it i broke mine twice in my 98 gt.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:20 PM
SIMV

ORIGINAL: tripsevn7

i bet its the trans mount, i will almost guarantee it i broke mine twice in my 98 gt.
I'm thinking the same thing, but am not 100% sure due to the fact that it only does it in overdrive. Do you have any suggestions on reinforced trans and motor mounts? Who makes 'em / Where to get 'em?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:33 PM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

i used energy suspension
Old 11-17-2005, 05:16 PM
SNORX302
1st Gear Member

i hear a clicking from under the seat, but sometiems a popping further back. and i only feel it when the car is in drive and i have overdrive on-manually shifting-doesnt happen-but how good could that be on the tranny...

Quick Reply: Automatic Trans/ Driveline Clunk?