4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why do American "muscle" car manufacts. make BS V6s?? How STUPID!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 01:58 AM
JonBeast

Default RE: Why do American "muscle" car manufacts. make BS V6s?? How STUPID!!

ORIGINAL: nathansmith50

it's not just about money.......well i guess in the long run it is but not only.

it's as smiple as this equasion.

no V6 = no V8

if they didn't make the V6 they wouldn't be making the V8 because the V8 sales alone wouldn't be profitable enough to bother.
Thats exactly what I was going to say. If it wasn't for the v6 models....the v8 ones wouldn't be here either. End of story.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:38 AM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

Yeah its all about the "sales"

However CORVETTE is the only American Muscle car to Keep a v8 always since the day it started...

oh and GTO is as well now I guess (even tho it left production foreevvver)

Vette has stayed v8 all the way through...

Mustang and Camaro/Firebird should have as well.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:41 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

not only the money issue

but how many young girls do you see driving around in a v6 vert, do you really think they care?

no, so its whatever they can sell, and whatever is popular

i'd hate to think of where he stands on fox bodys with 2.3's
Old 11-18-2005, 02:53 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

haha... I got a 97 GT and I love the V8.... but my buddy had a 2000 V6 firebird that was decked out and it ran with my GT..... v6s just make a good looking good riding medium point car...... it's a cool achievement to have a fast as hell v6.....

but unfortunatley, like everything in the world, it's all about the money!!!! I hate money.... always a zillion places for it to go and like two to make it.... grgh!!

George

Old 11-18-2005, 03:19 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stang9946

So an earlier post got me thinking. Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, etc all come in V8 and V6....but why? You don't see Lambs, Ferraris, and all those other European "muscle" cars down grading. So here's what I think...Ford Mustang...Chevy Camaro...they made their sports cars in V8s and V6s right? Why? There are people that like the car style, but don't specifically want the power or bad mpg to go with it. Well you know what? TOUGH SH**!! If you buy either of those cars..you're buying it for style, to turn heads, powerful and fast. You don't like the low mpg...don't buy the car. I say American "muscle" cars should be V8s ONLY. I'm done with my rant. Feel free to comment. The war has started...
You should be thankful that they make the v6. Do you really want to pay 50-60K for a mustang with a V8???

Its all economics. The more of the car you sell, the cheaper it is to build it, the cheaper you can sell it for.

Hell, I think they should start offering a V6 corvette. It would make the V8 model much cheaper, and they would still make as much if not much more money.

Besides, if nothing else, the V6 gets people into the product line, making them want to buy a V8 later when they can afford it. Trust me, you don't want to see the V6 disapear.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:45 AM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JoeyD

However CORVETTE is the only American Muscle car to Keep a v8 always since the day it started...

Yes, yes, and yes.

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

G-a-r-b-a-g-e!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:03 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Yes, yes, and yes.

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

G-a-r-b-a-g-e!
Yeah, and the vette has also stayed too expensive for the average person to acutally buy one that isn't 10 years old.

Please, you can argue about it all day, but the point of the mustang (and camaro) is to remain AFFORDABLE to the average guy. If you really want to spend 40-50K on a mustang, you still CAN by getting a cobra.

I know I would love to have a cobra. But I currently love to not have a 500+ dollar a month car payment. And I sure as hell wouldn't want the only other option than a 500+ dollar a month payment is to buy a car that is 10+ years old. And thats pretty much what you are stuck with if you are a vette fan.

In my book, it doesn't suck to be able to go out and pick up a car that is 3 years old for 16K. Take away the V6, and that won't ever happen again.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah its all about the "sales"

oh and GTO is as well now I guess (even tho it left production foreevvver)

Not true. The 1954 Corvette was an inline 6 banger. Chevy didn't start using V8's until 1955.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:24 AM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

So an earlier post got me thinking. Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, etc all come in V8 and V6....but why? You don't see Lambs, Ferraris, and all those other European "muscle" cars down grading. So here's what I think...Ford Mustang...Chevy Camaro...they made their sports cars in V8s and V6s right? Why? There are people that like the car style, but don't specifically want the power or bad mpg to go with it. Well you know what? TOUGH SH**!! If you buy either of those cars..you're buying it for style, to turn heads, powerful and fast. You don't like the low mpg...don't buy the car. I say American "muscle" cars should be V8s ONLY. I'm done with my rant. Feel free to comment. The war has started...
You have said it best in your own words. If you don't care for the V6 option TOUGH SH**
Old 11-18-2005, 10:34 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i'm sure the stang would have died many years ago if not for it's cheaper counterpart.

Quick Reply: Why do American "muscle" car manufacts. make BS V6s?? How STUPID!!