4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Used Parts?

Old 11-18-2005, 11:39 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Default Used Parts?

I was wondering what people think about buying used parts? I mean I would buy used pullies and not think twice about it, but what about things like gears? Would anyone else buy used gears? Why wouldn't you? Used springs? List parts that you think are okay to save some money buying used, and parts that are better to pay extra and get new parts.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:44 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Used Parts?

gears cost less than 180 bucks why on earth would you buy them used?

you can buy a lot of used parts.......but it's generally a good idea to stay away from used performance parts. unless you know what you're doing and you can check them out yourself.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

I would buy used oil before I bought used gears.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:56 AM
JonBeast

Exhaust is pretty safe to buy used. Just check out the pipes for rust/holes.....make sure everything is in good shape. I got my o/r h-pipe used from a friend for $75.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:12 AM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jglisson

yeah gears are among the things you'd NEVER want to buy used. i'd probably not want to get a used supercharger or turbo.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

personaly when i comes to used parts i like to see touch and inspect them befor buying. And it really just depends on a lot of factors with me i wouldn't have a problem buying used grears if i knew there history and they are in good shape. but thats just me
Old 11-19-2005, 02:26 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

I would buy a used flash tuner. I would tend to stay away from buying any used moving parts from a vehicle however.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Great Cornholio

I would buy a used flash tuner. I would tend to stay away from buying any used moving parts from a vehicle however.
just make sure they put the factory tune back on there car.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:31 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nathansmith50

yeah gears are among the things you'd NEVER want to buy used. i'd probably not want to get a used supercharger or turbo.
Why would you say this? Do you know what gears do? If everything is smooth and worn evenly, WTF can go wrong?

If you have enough intelligence to look at something, and process if it is torn up or not, You can buy anything u want used. Use common sense. I bought some 3.73's out of a wrecked Foxbody. I went and looked at the gears, they werent worn enevenly or scratched or chipped. Common sense told me they were fine. I laid down $65. They worled PERFECTLY Why wouldnt you buy something used? As long as you can check it out, why not? Used supercharges are a perfect way to get something for cheap. Just get it rebuilt and checked out by someone who knows whats going on. You guys need to get out more. Just b/c ANYTHING in the world is used, doesnt mean that somethings wrong. Just use your head.

I love buying used ****. Its cheap and sometimes requires work. I like doing any kind of work on my car.About the only thing i wouldnt buy just b/c its used is a condom. j/k (im talking about car parts)
Old 11-19-2005, 07:36 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: nathansmith50

Why would you say this? Do you know what gears do? If everything is smooth and worn evenly, WTF can go wrong?

If you have enough intelligence to look at something, and process if it is torn up or not, You can buy anything u want used. Use common sense. I bought some 3.73's out of a wrecked Foxbody. I went and looked at the gears, they werent worn enevenly or scratched or chipped. Common sense told me they were fine. I laid down $65. They worled PERFECTLY Why wouldnt you buy something used? As long as you can check it out, why not? Used supercharges are a perfect way to get something for cheap. Just get it rebuilt and checked out by someone who knows whats going on. You guys need to get out more. Just b/c ANYTHING in the world is used, doesnt mean that somethings wrong. Just use your head.

I love buying used ****. Its cheap and sometimes requires work. I like doing any kind of work on my car.About the only thing i wouldnt buy just b/c its used is a condom. j/k (im talking about car parts)
because you can get brand new ones for 160. the savings isn't worth it.

and worn evenly or not when metal is abused it weakens. and you may not be able to see the tinytiny stress fractures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Used Parts?