4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Twin Screw vs. Centrifugal blower

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:08 AM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Twin Screw vs. Centrifugal blower

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

Why only 6 psi? I've heard of mach's running as high as 15 psi. I've got forged internals (pistons/valves anyway) and a forged crank..... Just wondering... also, I'll never use N20.. not since my friends civic actually blew up after he threw a rod, snapped a fuel line nd something sparked (freak accident, I know, but still)

Well I cant really add to much, as these guys know more than I do, but I will say that twin screw blowers look much better than does a centrifugal, and N20 is fine, I mean look at how many people DO safely use it. The beauty of nitrous is that you only get ****ty gas milage when your using it, where as with the blower its ****ty all the time!

Jim
Old 11-21-2005, 12:18 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i perfer the centrifugal blower because its easier to stay out of boost and save gas money. i like nitrous but i just hate refilling it. its a pain in the butt to put the bottle in the freezer and refill it all the time.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:36 AM
LilBlackPony

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

Its not driven by the driveshaft. Its driven by the driveBELT. A twinscrew's internals are made so that as soon as you hit the gas, air is immediatly forced into the engine... its commonly referred to as an air compressor because it doesnt build boost, its just there, whereas a centrifugal... the air has to travel from the blower to the TB, into the plenum, down the runners and into the engine because it sets further away from the intake. so it takes longer for the engine to get into boost.
Lemme tell you jdaniel thats everything i wanted to know. Greatly appreciated.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:40 AM
LilBlackPony

While we are on the subject...how is the pressure of the boost released using a supercharger if it doesnt have a BOV as with turbos.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:43 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LilBlackPony

While we are on the subject...how is the pressure of the boost released using a supercharger if it doesnt have a BOV as with turbos.

idk about some people but i have a blow off valve on my blower.... its centrifical
Old 11-21-2005, 12:54 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

Why only 6 psi? I've heard of mach's running as high as 15 psi. I've got forged internals (pistons/valves anyway) and a forged crank..... Just wondering... also, I'll never use N20.. not since my friends civic actually blew up after he threw a rod, snapped a fuel line nd something sparked (freak accident, I know, but still)
Unless you had the pistons installed yourself, then you dont have forged pistons because it didnt come that way from the factory. You have an aluminum block and forged crankshaft, thats all. The reason you can only handle 6-8 psi is because you have such a high compression ratio. After so much boost, your powder cracked rods will bend like a bananna and blow out the side of your block, which is commonly referred to as "throwing a rod". Not only that... but the higher compression you run, the hotter the intake temps are. SO... add six more lbs of hot boost to that and you will get a ton of detonation. Hyperutectic pistons dont like detonation at all!

N20 is as safe as the tune. If some moron just throws some nitrous on his motor without some research of a tune or what he needs to do to run it properly then he deserves a blown motor. If you are dumb enough to run nitrous without the proper safety switches, then you deserve to have your motor blow up. The same goes for a S/C. If you think you can force 8 lbs of boost on a untuned motor without the proper amount of fuel or timing, then that fool deserves a blown motor. Plain and simple.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:58 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

why can the GT's take 10psi of boost and the mach's can only take 6-7? is it because the mach's have alot more compression? also... whats the stock compression on a gt? 9.5:1? 9.3:1?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:01 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: LilBlackPony

A supercharger uses bypass valves for closed throttle operations. If you are tuned properly, then a centrifugal blower can use a blowoff valve just like a turbo. The reason most people dont run a blowoff on a S/C is because the blowoff has to be after the MAF, which would blow off metered air. That would mess up the way the engine runs because that air thats blown off has been metered by the MAF and the computer has compensated for it. So when the air doesnt reach the motor, it wont know not to drop the timing or cut the fuel to the right amount for the blown off air.

Most people use whats called a recirculation valve, which removes the air from the inlet pipe and directs back into the pipe just before the blower to relieve the pressure that would have gone against the TB plate. Thats how the ones Ive seen work anyhoo.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:03 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

why can the GT's take 10psi of boost and the mach's can only take 6-7? is it because the mach's have alot more compression? also... whats the stock compression on a gt? 9.5:1? 9.3:1?

Stock compression in a GT is 9.4:1 and the Mach is 10.0:1. Thats why. Look at it like this... at full stroke of a rod and piston, there is more room between the head and the top of the piston of a GT then there is in a Mach. You get what im saying?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:05 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

Stock compression in a GT is 9.4:1 and the Mach is 10.0:1. Thats why. Look at it like this... at full stroke of a rod and piston, there is more room between the head and the top of the piston of a GT then there is in a Mach. You get what im saying?

yep, i know whatcha mean.... i just didnt know the compression ratio's of each. 10.0 is pretty high for a motor that would be boosted so i do see why it can only take that little.

Quick Reply: Twin Screw vs. Centrifugal blower