4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Twin Screw vs. Centrifugal blower

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 01:09 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Twin Screw vs. Centrifugal blower

Some people say its all in the tune... and thats fine and dandy when it comes to detonation and cracking a piston. Most people dont realize that rods do bend and thats got everything to do with too much boost being put on them.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:14 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

Some people say its all in the tune... and thats fine and dandy when it comes to detonation and cracking a piston. Most people dont realize that rods do bend and thats got everything to do with too much boost being put on them.

yea i know what ya mean, im tryin to get my motor to last a full time under being boosted... do you think my rods and pistons and rings will be good under 10psi of boost? alittle off topic.... also i was wondering... does it matter any for me getting my car tuned during winter and then it being fine during summer since the air is more dense during the winter. it wont lean out or anything? or will i need another tune for winter and one for summer? thats one question thats got me thinkin.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:19 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Your MAF and IAT sensor should compensate for the difference in air temp to a certain point. Thats what the MAF and IAT sensor is for is to adjust timing and fuel injector duty cycle for the amount of air going into the motor. As for the engine under boost. If you want it to last for ever the I wouldnt suggest you go over 9 lbs of boost. Anything over that and you are looking for trouble, espically during the summer and you are running it in the heat and on only 93 octane. Detonation will be a biatch!
Old 11-21-2005, 01:20 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I DID have the pistons and valves installed, all forged out gt-40 parts. I spoke to a steeda rep, and he said even with 10.0:1 compression I could safely run up to 10 psi if I had the timing retarded and a GOOD tune put on the car, That being said, When I do blow the car, I plan on doing it right, taking it to the dyno, getting a dyno tune,etc, I'm not going to toss it on and hope it works... Even though most don't use them on centrifugal (b/c roots just wont fit w/o loosing the shaker's function) I planned on possible intercooling the s/c, again, I need more research into the whole project. Of course, I might just stay N/A at this rate. I just don't like n20... makes me think too much of rice cars anyway
Old 11-21-2005, 01:23 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Your MAF and IAT sensor should compensate for the difference in air temp to a certain point. Thats what the MAF and IAT sensor is for is to adjust timing and fuel injector duty cycle for the amount of air going into the motor. As for the engine under boost. If you want it to last for ever the I wouldnt suggest you go over 9 lbs of boost. Anything over that and you are looking for trouble, espically during the summer and you are running it in the heat and on only 93 octane. Detonation will be a biatch!

thats gonna suck. what if i want the motor to last for another 50k miles? right now ive got 29 on it.... by the time i get another 50k on it.. i should have enough for a forged bottom end.

also... we do have 110 around at a few gas stations here in knoxville... do you think i could mix alittle 110 in with the 93 to help against detonation? and if i put some water wetter in the aftercooler to keep its temps down alittle too.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:29 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Best thing to do is get it tuned for what you're gonna do with the car. If its a daily driver and never see's the track, then dont make it a serious tune. If you like the track, then get a flip switch and a tune specifically for 110 octane (give or take) and use that just for the track, then have a daily driver tune installed for the streets.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:31 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Best thing to do is get it tuned for what you're gonna do with the car. If its a daily driver and never see's the track, then dont make it a serious tune. If you like the track, then get a flip switch and a tune specifically for 110 octane (give or take) and use that just for the track, then have a daily driver tune installed for the streets.

its a daily driver and will see the track every once in awhile for some racing of local cars to show them up (cars from the school) and then i will romp on it probably a few times a day for the first month or two. i do have a superchips 4 bank flip chip right now for it. so can i get it tuned to not detonate on the streets? just have the timing backed off some?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:32 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Sounds like a plan.