4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

do no cats make that big a diffrence?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 11:50 PM
gotboost
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: do no cats make that big a diffrence?

in tx there is a 3,000 fine if your emisions equipment is tampered with and they will shut down emissions center that passed you when they shouldnt have. They are also crakin down on shady emisions. I think i'll go with the cats thanx guys
Old 11-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Good information in this thread.

You won't see anymore hp without cats compared to some high-flow cats.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:26 AM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969
Here in IL. you need to take your car to a state run emissions station every 2 years, there are no private inspectors.
you could always register it in michigan if it's close........there are no inspections there.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:52 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

in tx there is a 3,000 fine if your emisions equipment is tampered with and they will shut down emissions center that passed you when they shouldnt have.
Thats tough, damn. New Jersey has some of the toughest laws along with Cali.. But I havent been hassled for my car, and if you are, which is rarely, you are given a warning. I guess maybe its just because I live in a suburban town the cops give us some slack. Who knows, but I know there are private inspectors ALL over NJ because of the tough laws, and they pass people for $50 anytime, Heh.

Cats are no big deal though, I just don't want to spend the money, and I want a louder sound.
Good luck though!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:04 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

in tx there is a 3,000 fine if your emisions equipment is tampered with and they will shut down emissions center that passed you when they shouldnt have.
Thats tough, damn. New Jersey has some of the toughest laws along with Cali.. But I havent been hassled for my car, and if you are, which is rarely, you are given a warning. I guess maybe its just because I live in a suburban town the cops give us some slack. Who knows, but I know there are private inspectors ALL over NJ because of the tough laws, and they pass people for $50 anytime, Heh.

Cats are no big deal though, I just don't want to spend the money, and I want a louder sound.
Good luck though!

i live in jersey to, and jersey has really high emission standards, and the cops are very hard on illegal lighting and tints, but not that big on cats. i have numberious friends that have loud cars and no cats and get pulled over for loud exhaust all the time, and the cops never ask about cats. and i have asked alot of cops that i know about having no cats, and they all said it was no big deal in there eyes.

man but jersey sucks for tints and illegal lights, i know lots of people who get tickets for tints all the time. one kid i knew got limo tints in his S2000, and two weeks later got a ticket, then he took his tints right off.

and the cops would always be on my *** about my offroad lights on my truck. i had four PIAA's mounted on my front bumper and i would get pulled over often for having just two of them on. i guess they were bright.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:31 AM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StickShiftyGT

ORIGINAL: meebix

Good luck though!

i live in jersey to, and jersey has really high emission standards, and the cops are very hard on illegal lighting and tints, but not that big on cats. i have numberious friends that have loud cars and no cats and get pulled over for loud exhaust all the time, and the cops never ask about cats. and i have asked alot of cops that i know about having no cats, and they all said it was no big deal in there eyes.

man but jersey sucks for tints and illegal lights, i know lots of people who get tickets for tints all the time. one kid i knew got limo tints in his S2000, and two weeks later got a ticket, then he took his tints right off.

and the cops would always be on my *** about my offroad lights on my truck. i had four PIAA's mounted on my front bumper and i would get pulled over often for having just two of them on. i guess they were bright.
OMG did you just say numberious? NUMEROUS!!! You win the "I hacked up the English language" Award. Conrgats. lol
Old 11-22-2005, 03:34 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

So will long tube headers and a catted x pass emissions? I heard people say it's very hard to pass emissions with LT's.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:46 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Here in md you have to run your car on the dyno if its pre 96 every 2 years. I just kept everything that will need to be hooked back up for when emissions come around. I can get past the inspections they have every 5 years because I work at a shop that is an inspection station.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:58 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

So will long tube headers and a catted x pass emissions? I heard people say it's very hard to pass emissions with LT's.
As far as I know you should have no problem. I have never heard of someone not passing emissions for LT's, but then again it is part of the exhaust system, and it pretty much opens the headers up with zero restiction, so anything is possible. But I have never heard of such a thing.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:25 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

dont they check it with the computer now days? if so, cant you just put some mil eliminators and they not even notice? like what if you just had the heat shields welded on from some cats to make it look like you have them.

Quick Reply: do no cats make that big a diffrence?