4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP!!

This morning, I had a friend put his foot on my clutch to disengage it. To see if the smoke was coming from the slipping clutch. It was not smoking for about 15 seconds then the smoke started couming out from the driver side in the middle of the headers. So I think I have an exhaust leak. In addition to my clutch problem. I ordered a adjustable clutch cable, aluminum quadrant, and firewall adjuster from steeda. Then I order some sluminum exhaust gaskets from summit. I ordered it next day air, so I will get it on friday. What a pain in the a$$.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:56 PM
cobracharmer

What color was the smoke? Bluish or was it more grey?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:00 PM
cobracharmer

I wouldnt use simple green, I would be cautious of compound cleaners. You may want to stick to the alcohol. So, Im assuming you are driving the car around? Also, I dont think it is enough oilin the alcohol to cause the whole slipping problem,but I wouldnt void that idea out either. Its hard to say without actually seeing the whole thing..does it make a sqeak at all? Any odd new noises?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:03 PM
cobracharmer

Did they spank you on the shipping for next day during holidays..you may as well bend over. Hopefully your solution will arrive on Friday.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

No Im not driving it around. I started it and ran my car for about 2 minutes. Then the next morning I had my friend with me and I ran it for 30 seconds. My clutch is not even really grabbing. Plus its smoking too much. I need to fix it before anything goes worse. Yeah they screwed me with the shipping. Summit is $30 for shipping for aluminum gaskets. And Steeda is $30 for the clutch cable kit. I whould have just bought both at summit. But oh well. I am going to lift my car up and disconnect my clutch cable completely and out my transmission in neutral and start it. If its the clutch it wont smoke. But if its the headers it will. I will video tape it and upload it on here. too see mabye you can get a better idea.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I think I figured it out, I forgot to put my dipstick back in so oil was squirting onto my headers and smoking. I put it back in, but I smell burning, I would guess thats because my headers and x-pipe are brand new? Has this happend to anyone else with there LT headers?

Also thanks alot CobraCharmer, I really appreciate all your help and time you spent. I got the clutch cable, quadrent and firewall adjuster. My clutch grabs perfectly right where it should. That was the problem. I have a little clutch chatter, but its brand new I need to break it in. Thanks