4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

BBk valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 01:12 AM
rex979

Default BBk valve covers

I installed a set of BBK polished aluminum valve covers on my 4.6 L Mustang and now the engine is using a quart of oil every 3000 miles.(it never used a drop before ) Now it is sucking it up through the PCV system. While this is not excessive, it bugs me that, because the BBK vavle covers do not have the proper baffling for the PCV valve like the factory covers, it now consumes oil. I have talked to BBK about it and they acknowledge that they have many complaints about it , but have no solution. They said they don't make a proper baffle for this valve cover. Does anyone know of a baffle sysytem I can insert ( I don't want to remove the BBK's to do it as it was a real pain to install them ) or any other solution that anyone has used successfully to fix this problem ?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:16 AM
00GT00
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: BBk valve covers

ORIGINAL: rex979

I installed a set of BBK polished aluminum valve covers on my 4.6 L Mustang and now the engine is using a quart of oil every 3000 miles.(it never used a drop before ) Now it is sucking it up through the PCV system. While this is not excessive, it bugs me that, because the BBK vavle covers do not have the proper baffling for the PCV valve like the factory covers, it now consumes oil. I have talked to BBK about it and they acknowledge that they have many complaints about it , but have no solution. They said they don't make a proper baffle for this valve cover. Does anyone know of a baffle sysytem I can insert ( I don't want to remove the BBK's to do it as it was a real pain to install them ) or any other solution that anyone has used successfully to fix this problem ?

If I were in your shoes I would be taking the BBk covers off ASAP! Thats the fix to your porblems.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:17 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

maybe if you put some thing in the line to kinda of keep it from going in the motor like some foam or something? just something to keep oil from being sucked in pretty much.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:15 AM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

ya try and put fome in the line, but far enough up so it dosen't fall in the valve covers
Old 11-29-2005, 02:33 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dark_Horse

ya try and put fome in the line, but far enough up so it dosen't fall in the valve covers

yep! or if it was me, i would take off the valve covers and get some metal and bend it and cut it to fit it and then get it tack welded to the inner part of the valve cover like a splash guard type deal... i think that is all the valve covers are missing.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:41 PM
pdk
2nd Gear Member

im in the same boat as you...
we have a few options which one is up to you:
tig weld a baffle
install breathers
oil/air seperators + return line or breathers (have to empty the collector)
shm seperators + return line or breathers (costly)

not to mention the location of the pcv valve is next to the master cylinder so if anything fits it will be tight.

i planned with the shop last week to do exactly as racer02 described, weld in a baffle

Old 11-29-2005, 02:45 PM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

Steeda sells a kit that filters the oil out of the pcv and sends it back to the oiling system. That apperantly is a common problem with earlyer cobras, cause I think it mentions something about it in there add. Ok go to the steeda web site and find there oil seperator kit it is 69.95 and I think it will fix your problem. Sorry I dont know how to paste a link.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:15 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I just run breathers.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:23 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

Agreed...Forget about looks if it's drinking oil like that!

-Bryan

ORIGINAL: 00GT00

ORIGINAL: rex979

If I were in your shoes I would be taking the BBk covers off ASAP! Thats the fix to your porblems.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:41 PM
pdk
2nd Gear Member

I just run breathers.
any oil draw thru issues w/ the breather?
what type of breathers to be specific? cobra?
are your vc baffled?

im just unsure if the breather alone would handle the blow by issues or if a seperator is needed to pull the oil from the pcv air before a breather vents the gases

sorry for all the questions...its just hard to find people who know what they are talking about