4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Could it be my clutch cable??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 06:07 PM
mantis223

Default Could it be my clutch cable??

This post includes a new quiestion or theory pertaining to my previoise question i wrote a second ago, which i will cut and past below for reference if you havn't read my previouise post. <u>NEW QUESTION:</u> My clutch does release very high (about an inch it seems from the top), which unlike my fathers again, is very high. Could it be that it only appears to take a while to catch because i wait longer for it to grab when releasing the clutch (way up top) than what is normal? My fathers again, catches much sooner and farther down which is why this became a concern. But however, even if these cables stretch, i have done the manual adjustment thing for the clutch cable that the owners manual says to perform. Because this doesn'te make a difference could it be the cable or no? Again please help anyone, <u>ORIGINAL POST PERTAINING TO THE ABOVE QUESTION:</u> Hello, I have purchased a 2000 mustang GT with about 20,000 miles on it last year and have had a problem witht the clutch. When i shift and release the clutch expecially when going in reverse or first from standing still, it seems like my clutch isn't engaging properly cuz it takes a while for it to catch. I just replaced my clutch clutch plate ext, throw out bearing and resurfaced my fly wheel (all new ford motorsport parts) and the problem persists. My father who has the same car, has and instang snap, and grab when starting off , which is again realy noticed when starting to back up or go forward from standstill. This problem could also exist while actaully underway, however since the car is moving the slow grab time is not really obvioise if any exist. There is no vibration in the clutch pedal or from the fly wheel to indicate a bad clutch or and uneven flywheel, what could this be?? I did clean both the clutch plate and flywheel with brake fluid (whih is recomended) before i bolted everything on. The car reacts the same way as before i replaced all these parts, so i have some doubt that it could be anything to do with the parts that i put in. The only other thing i havn'et replaced that pertains to the clutch is the cable itself and the pedal. This car by the way was a flood car, however, the car shows no signs, no rust no odor, no noises or corosion, nothing, no sand, perfectly flawless in and out top and bottom and from what the owner said, and what it appears to be, the car only sat in a inch or two high on the rims. Could the cable itself have been corroded or goocked up that its release time is slow? Or are there any other parts that could have effect on the clutch (other than parts i mentioned i replaced incase that was the case) that would suffer do to a flood subjected vehicle? And besides the flood issues, what else could cause this? Please let me know its drivin me nuts and no garage can seem to give me any advice. thanks Chris

Old 04-27-2003, 11:48 PM
MustangGTRocks
2nd Gear Member

Default Could it be my clutch cable??

thats a lot of words....let me get back with ya.