4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine Build Up??

Old 12-02-2005, 01:09 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Default Engine Build Up??

Once you get around 400rwhp on a stock motor, I understand you have to rebuild the motor. I know you need to change the stock short block. What else all has to happen to run more power on the motor? Please list everthing that would need to be done, and about how much money it would cost. Thanks guys, and feedback would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:15 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Build Up??

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

Once you get around 400rwhp on a stock motor, I understand you have to rebuild the motor. I know you need to change the stock short block. What else all has to happen to run more power on the motor? Please list everthing that would need to be done, and about how much money it would cost. Thanks guys, and feedback would be appreciated.
As far as I know the block will be fine. As long as it is not overbored, it should hold more power than you will be able to cram into it.

The internals however, need to be changed. Pistons, rods, crank. When your power starts getting higher, you'll want to look into new cams and valve springs, and even new heads. You'll need a robust fuel system to support new power, high flow fuel pump (be sure it is producing high flow at high pressure, sometimes flow will be rated at low pressure where it is much easier to attain higher flow) and larger fuel injectors being the main focus here. Also, you will need a stronger spark, so your ignition system will need to be changed.

Granted, these all need to be done at varying levels of power, but you will know when a component needs to be upgraded. Above 450 FLYWHEEL HP your rods will very likely break, I'd probably leave the cutoff at 400 flywheel HP, which is 330-350 RWHP... better safe than sorry.

Also, all of these things are just for the engine. Your transmission is going to break when power gets too high, you'll need a stronger clutch to grip with higher power, your rear axles may need to be changed because they will aventually break as the power goes. You can't forget the most important thing though... all that power gets you nowhere if you can't get it to the ground, so don't forget a good set of tires.

That is the most of it... look up the cost on most things. Give me a number you would like to end at and I can probably tell you the things you will need to replace.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:40 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Build Up??

I hope to supercharge my 03 gt, it has cat-backs, catted x-pipe, udp, cai, and a maf. I would run like 8 pounds of boost. So i figure with this i'd be around 350rwhp(may be mistaken). What all would I need to do once I reach that power level to keep my motor safe???