4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hood + Bumper Selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Blinkstang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Hood + Bumper Selection

Actually its a 99-01 Cobra front bumper, not an 03-04, with a splitter (lip). They wouldn't have released the new Cobra bumper two years before the cars actual production.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

true lol.. good catch on my mistake lol... dunno why i put that... although still pretty much the same thing.. slightly different
Old 12-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty Powers

ummm btw... the cobra R front facia... is just an 03/04 front bumper... with a lip that is bolted on and you can actually take off when u drive/ bolt back on when u get to the show... in order not to damage it....

well actually im not too sure about the kit u can buy but thats the way it is on the real cobra R..... and i know i am right... know someone who has one and has watched him take it off....

and if u guys would liek pics i can do that too... almost evey angle of the cobra R... lol... i love that thing...
no it's the 99,01 cobra front bumper with the lip added.
Edit: just noticed this was addressed in the posts just above this one.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwmost

are u gonna take off the rest of your body kit cuz it wont look right with the bumpers ur gonna get.
actually the Cobra R lip will go perfect with the side skirts and rear you have now. They both lower the car a similar amount. You could also go with a Cervinit Stalker front, A Steeda Splitter on a regular front, A Steeda Splitter on an 03/04 Cobra front. (These all lower the car like the Kaminari front) Cervini also sells a single piece Cobra R bumper (not an add on) which might be even cleaner in appearence.

As far as hoods are concerned, I recommend: S281E, Kaenen 2 inch cowl with stock hood scoop, or Cobra R. Cervini looks pretty good as does Q400 if you want more of a cowl look.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:07 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Thanks that was some good information those last couple posts.

I would go with the splitter, but I think its going to be out of my price range really.. Cobra Bumper + Splitter? Whats that going to run..

So Im definitely interested in the Cobra R Bumper.. But I cant have it being TOO low whereas I have the worry about hitting it everywhere I go.. I mean I do that now with the 2' drop, so if it lined up well and wasn't lowering than the rest of the body it would be perfect..
What do you think?

Old 12-06-2005, 06:53 PM
pitch
2nd Gear Member

Personally I would ask what you mean by "show" car. Do you plan on entering it in shows, especially mustang shows? Or do you just want it to be noticeable? Because there is a big difference.
Check out Steeda.com. They have the Cobra splitter. Or try Mrbodykit.com. Got it all. Call the folks at Steeda if you have questions. They are great to work with.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

No the cobra R bumper of just a 99-02 cobra bumper with a front spoiler on it. You can buy the cobra bumper and front spliter seperatly from ford so you have the abbility to take it off when you want. But most all of the aftermarket cobra r bumpers have the spliter molded in, so you cant remove it. The cobra R is a sick bumper, the only thing I dont like is that the spitter doesnt mold into the fender lines on the sides and that it is lower than the stock side skirts, but the white one pictured above has aftermarket side skirts that match up.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:04 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Personally I would ask what you mean by "show" car. Do you plan on entering it in shows, especially mustang shows? Or do you just want it to be noticeable? Because there is a big difference.
Check out Steeda.com. They have the Cobra splitter. Or try Mrbodykit.com. Got it all. Call the folks at Steeda if you have questions. They are great to work with.
Well heres the deal. This is obviously my primary car at this point, Im 18 years old. Im planning on keeping my car for a LONG time, like for when I get older and stuff. Yes when I say "show" I eventually plan on entering it into real shows + mustang specific shows. However, for right now, Im looking to get my feet wet and bring it to local shows, ect. With that being said, I still want to build for the future. Obviously Im not going to put my custom paint job on the car now, while I still drive it a lot, those BIG additions will come down the road.

Im looking to build for the future, I want to get the body squared away, then I want to work on the interior, then accessories, then some "under the hood" work/accessories. So this is where Im headed. Like I said I plan on keeping my car for a long time.. So Im going to start forming it now.. So thats what I mean by "show". Of course I want it to look good on the street, but I will eventually enter it in shows.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:10 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

No the cobra R bumper of just a 99-02 cobra bumper with a front spoiler on it. You can buy the cobra bumper and front spliter seperatly from ford so you have the abbility to take it off when you want. But most all of the aftermarket cobra r bumpers have the spliter molded in, so you cant remove it. The cobra R is a sick bumper, the only thing I dont like is that the spitter doesnt mold into the fender lines on the sides and that it is lower than the stock side skirts, but the white one pictured above has aftermarket side skirts that match up.
Well I have aftermarket side skirts as you can see in the picture of my car too.. So your telling me it will match up?
And even if I ended up changing my skirts later, I would obviously then make sure they match up.

But that white cobra R, you think that is a 2' drop like mine? Or more?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:16 PM
pitch
2nd Gear Member

I have entered and been to a lot of shows. Also talked to a lot of the judges. Seems there are 2 different camps when it comes to "show" cars. One is the super clean "stock" mustang with very few appearance mods. The second is the "modified" mustang. From what I have seen and learned you want to stay away from anything resembling "rice". That goes for a lot of the body kits. About the only 2 non Mustang kits that I have seen very well accepted are the Stalker and Zenon. Of course the Roush and Saleen kits are acceptable. But there is definitely a faction that believes you should not try to make it what it is not. By this I mean turning a GT into a Saleen, Roush, Cobra, etc.

My suggestion would be to go to as many shows as you can. See what you like. Talk to people. Then start thinking about spending the money. I know when I was 18 the money was a little hard to come by. Hoods, bumpers, kits are quite expensive. Be sure before you buy.

#1 criteria at all of the shows I've been to seems to be well detailed. And nice paint.

Not preaching, just my humble opinion.

Quick Reply: Hood + Bumper Selection