4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

OH MY!!!! huge problem with CAR! please help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 12:39 AM
Z28guy

Default RE: OH MY!!!! huge problem with CAR! please help...

I don't remember how the MAF sensor is on a Ford, but is it possible that its on backwards? I know this is possible on a GM and will really screw things up. Try checking for other things as well; possibly a misfire. Where was the car parked? Did any moisture come in contact with the engine? 4.6 and 5.4 Fords are notorious for developing slight misfires if moisture gets down around the ignition coil packs.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:48 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

put some ATF between the throttle body and plenum, that will make a good seal. sounds like you have a vaccum leak somewhere... check all your EGR stuff that goes on the plenum. also check to make sure the plenum is secured tightly to the intake manifold. there is a small vaccum line that goes onto the EGR, make sure its reconnected.. check gaskets for breaks.. it could be a series of small things even... i put hoseclamps over all my vaccum lines to prevent them from flying off once i get boost, you may have a similar problem with one leaking just alittle.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:05 AM
starcam
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a similar problem I had when installed the cai, a little more simplisting then other posts.
I accidentally knocked off the pcv hose on the valve cover, I couldn't see it too well under the cai pipe.
I was just looking at the hoses I took off and not the other ends.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:32 AM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

yea disconnecting the battery when doing installs like that lets your computer reset itself so it can adjust to the new parts you put on, if you dont disconnect it, then your engine is going to take alot longer to get used to the changes
Old 12-13-2005, 04:17 PM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

^Yeah? well I let it run for about 10-15 minutes or so... and the whole tiem it was shaking and making the noise etc.... which was ok, but then it started smelling really really HOT. so I had to shut it off.

I have re-installed things again and again same problem.

racer- you say put some ATF between the tb and plen?
also yes I took off the egr and reconnected it etc... and yes the line is all connected/.
and yes I have hose clamps on all vac lines....

Old 12-13-2005, 04:19 PM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

OH yes z28!.... there could have been MOIST around the intake etc.... b/c I did this over a period of time. and it was in my garage(which is COLD) its about 25-25 degrees here at night and in the mornings and so YES. say that is the problem... what do I do to fix this etc?

THANKS TO ALL HELP.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:50 PM
TheBob98GT
2nd Gear Member

well if u did it over a period of time, some little critter could crawl up in there. or maybe u drop a bolt in the manifold and dont know about it.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Z28guy

A misfire, was merely a suggestion. Having never seen the car in person, its nearly impossible to make anything other than an educated guess. You say it smells hot.... does it smell like antifreeze like its boiling out, or does it smell like oil burning? If it smells like oil burning, then like someone said above, you could have knocked your pcv hose loose, which would also cause your symptoms. Have you driven the car at all since the install? If not, try this: clear your DTCs either with your Diablo tuner or by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, and then drive the car for a few miles (assuming it isn't running hot). Then, scan it again and see if any new DTCs come up. Also, as a last resort, have you considered putting the stock pieces back on to see if the problem persists?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:09 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Sounds like to me you are not getting a good seal someplace, and there is air entering the intake tract after the MAF sensor, giving you a screwed up A/F ratio.

The first thing I would do is take everything off competely and reinstall it.

What brand of stuff did ya use (maf etc)??

I assume its a K&N air filter?? Did you get the oil from the filter on the MAF sensor?? I have heard of the maf giving bad readings if it gets oil on it.

Did you rezero the idle?? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think it needs to read as close to 1 volt but not 1 volt as it can at idle.

If ALL else fails, reinstall all the old stuff and see if it does it. If it does, you have a leak someplace, you pulled a hose off from the other end somewhere, or there is something on a sensor etc.

If it doesn't, reinstall the new stuff ONE PART at a time. When it starts doing it again, you have found the problem.

I hope you didn't buy MAC stuff. It is notorius for having problems.