4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I am sure this has been asked before I was here

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 03:06 PM
hunter9s
1st Gear Member

Default I am sure this has been asked before I was here

I have been looking at different performance chips and would like some advice or opinions on a couple I have been looking at. first is SCT XCALIBRATOR. They require a list of mods you have to list on the application. I will list them at the end. The second one is SCTXCALIBRATOR2.
This one hooks up to a lap top and software provided by Xcalibrator. 3rd is Diablo Sport Predator. They all list similar gains

My Mods 75mmTB, with plenium, IAT sensor that wires paralell so they work together, 4 Goodyear EagleF1 zRATED, Magnaflow dual exhaust, Steeda tri ax shifter,air intake cooler with K&N air filter, Bosch platinum 4 plugs.

Give me your opinion on these chips or anyother chip you think is top shelf.

Thanks

Steve
Old 12-15-2005, 03:11 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I am sure this has been asked before I was here

So far the best one ive seen Predator. It comes with options to tuning your A/F Ratio and you can hook it up to your laptop.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

I went with the Diablo b/c it appeared to be much easier to use than the others. I'd drop the idea of the xcal1 because you can't adjust it. I like the predator. It's very simple and is step by step. See if you can find a used one and you'll save yourself some money.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:34 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

This topic has been covered several times the majority of users will agree that the Predator is the best for the money. I'm hoping my wife is going to get me one for christmas, you can usually pick them up for around 250, just make sure they have been reset to the factory settings.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:40 PM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

Odd to hear that Pred is the best. Amazon Racing which is Rick swears by SCT 2. Even my tuner Bill from Truboost says that if I get stationed here again after my three years in Texas and still have the Diablo he will punch me in the face[] I have Diablo in my GT and my Cobra and I wont have them again. Rumor has it that there are more parameters to tune in the SCT than Diablo. Talk to actually tuners...not owners. Call Tim at Modular Power House and ask his opinion. -Shane
Old 12-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Hes asking for a handheld tuner not what chips tuners use. Therefore he should get the diablo. If he wants it dyno tuned and plans on getting a ****load of stuff done to it then he will have to get whatever chip his "human tuner" wants.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:55 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

misinformation right there... regarding the xcal2, it's not a chip. don't get a chip. if you care to play around with the settings yourself, the xcal2 has more parameters and more end user (YOU) adjustability. make sure you get it programmed with the latest software, you should be ok to change parameters. if you don't care about end user adjustability, get either one, they are not that different. I know a lot of tuners prefer and will recommend the xcal2 over the diablo, but I don't know the exact reasons why. Also, the tunes for the diablo are just generic, whereas I believe the xcal2 tune depends on the place/tuner you buy from.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:56 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

Hes asking for a handheld tuner not what chips tuners use. Therefore he should get the diablo. If he wants it dyno tuned and plans on getting a ****load of stuff done to it then he will have to get whatever chip his "human tuner" wants.
you are misinformed on this subject.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

How am i misimformed? Most tuners that I know request the use of a certain chip or tuner. Most I have seen do use the xcal2 b/c that's what their software is setup for. I never said the xcal2 was a chip.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:06 PM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

Chips are so last week and most tuners like xcal2..its that simple. Emailing a tune back and forth is easier than sending a chip off for a reburn. Plus..you have the option to change parameters-Shane

Quick Reply: I am sure this has been asked before I was here