4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

screech on startup!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 04:28 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default screech on startup!!!

Hello all~
I'm starting to get worried here. I have a 1997 GT 5 speed manual. Every time I start my stang (while holding clutch down), I hear a metal on metal screech coming from the bellhousing area that lasts about 2 seconds and then goes away once it's running. Before it sounded like it was coming from the front of the engine so I put in a new water pump and belt, all went well. Belt tensioner is good, I inspected all the pullies and everything and those are all clear with no noise or looseness.

What could this be?? It sounds like a throwout beairng but usually when those go bad, you hear them every time you press the clutch. Once it's running all systems are go. I am worried that this could be something serious and I don't wanna get stranded. I'm rebuilding the trans come spring, could it be the front bearing there?

Anyone had this sound let me know all the help I can get will be great

George
Old 12-15-2005, 04:42 PM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: screech on startup!!!

what tranny do you have on your 97?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:44 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

she's got the stock berg worner T 45... gonna put new syncrhos in it next spring. Should I buy a set of bearings too???

::sigh::
Old 12-15-2005, 04:52 PM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like the bearings. I found this on tremec's website :

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...ice_Manual.pdf

it's for a t-5, but they do have a troubleshooting section.

check this too for the clutch:

http://media.centerforce.com/DiagGui...cGuide04DL.pdf
Old 12-15-2005, 04:59 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

all right thanks so much for the help. Come spring I'm rippin the trans out and apart...

My mom and dad bought me a synchro set for my Christmas gift and I bet when we pull the bearings out if they are makin noise they will surely look like crap. May as well price a set and be ready to buy them if they are shot.

These squealing couldn't be caused by low fluid could it? Because if so I'd like to top that off, what kind of fluid does it take. Just dexron III auto tranny stuff?

If these bearings are goin what is the worst that they could cause?

George
Old 12-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Is the screeching similar to the sound of your starter? Your starter could be getting hung up and not disengaging right away.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:35 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

you know what, I have not thought about that. I should definitely look into it... that would be a pretty logical reason for the noise. Maybe I just need a new starter or to just clean the existing one. Thanks!!!

George
Old 12-15-2005, 05:39 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

okay well I just checked with autozone and a starter is $150... I think I'm going to remove the current one, disassemble it and clean it as best I can and put back together. I need to lube and clean particularly where the starter gear slides up and down the shaft because I bet the salt and snow and ice etc have all made for a non smooth motion. Hopefully cleaning it will buy some time.

George
Old 12-15-2005, 05:40 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

why is it something cheap can't fail or get broken? Like a tire valve stem cap? lmao

always the expensive crap
Old 12-15-2005, 05:55 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

sounds like the started to me. i had the same problem cept it wasnt constent. it was like screech-screech-screech. but all three totaled only lasted a sec

Quick Reply: screech on startup!!!