4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Jerky Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Jerky Ride?

I have 245/40/18 Kumho Ecsta MX up front and 275/35/18 Kumho Ecsta MX out back. I have chromed 18x9 Saleen rims all around. Tires are not in the greatest condition probably only about 25% tread life left on them, not showing any metal or anything like that though. I did not get an alignment after I got the new rims and tires put on.

This started happening ever since I got the rims and tires put on. I will be driving in a straight line and then all of a sudden the car will try and jerk me to the left or right. I'm thinking it is "tracking" where the tire is just getting pulled into grooves and ruts in the road. Even when I am driving on what appears to be pretty smooth roads it still seems to do it. It also happens more so when I am changing lanes.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this to happen and how to fix it? Right now my only solutions are #1 Get some new front tires (need suggestions for a good size tire to put on the front) #2 Get an alignment after I get the two new front tires. Any other suggestions on what could be causing this and solutions would be very helpful.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:38 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Jerky Ride?

is your car lowered?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:48 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

Try getting an alignment. That should do it...
Old 12-19-2005, 03:11 PM
00stang37
2nd Gear Member

my car does that too. im getting an alighnment done in a few days. i never really thought there was a problem, just thought it was followning the grooves of the road
Old 12-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

is your car lowered?
Yea not a ton though I have H&R sport springs w/ urethane spring isolators.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Sick96Stang

I have 245/40/18 Kumho Ecsta MX up front and 275/35/18 Kumho Ecsta MX out back. I have chromed 18x9 Saleen rims all around. Tires are not in the greatest condition probably only about 25% tread life left on them, not showing any metal or anything like that though. I did not get an alignment after I got the new rims and tires put on.

This started happening ever since I got the rims and tires put on. I will be driving in a straight line and then all of a sudden the car will try and jerk me to the left or right. I'm thinking it is "tracking" where the tire is just getting pulled into grooves and ruts in the road. Even when I am driving on what appears to be pretty smooth roads it still seems to do it. It also happens more so when I am changing lanes.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this to happen and how to fix it? Right now my only solutions are #1 Get some new front tires (need suggestions for a good size tire to put on the front) #2 Get an alignment after I get the two new front tires. Any other suggestions on what could be causing this and solutions would be very helpful.
wider tires are more suseptible to 'road tracking' because of the wider surface area. With lane changes there is usually a high or low spot between the lanes.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: Sick96Stang

wider tires are more suseptible to 'road tracking' because of the wider surface area. With lane changes there is usually a high or low spot between the lanes.
My buddy has an 02 GT with 245/?/17 up front and 275/?/17 out back and his car does not track like mine does. I'm not sure if it is because I have a bigger rim than him or if I need an alignment or if it is my tires or what but the bigger tires in the back can not be the cause or his car would do it also.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:30 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

did you get an alignment after you lowered your car if not... you need an alignment.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:44 PM
bobjenkins
1st Gear Member

mine does this too but it seems to be the wide wheels and it only happens when there are ruts or cracks in the road if it happens all the time probably allignment
Old 12-19-2005, 08:45 PM
orang04gt
2nd Gear Member

I have 275/40/17 up front, and since I put them on they tend to track more with the road and it has been aligned, my friends gt does the same thing after he changed tires. I put my stock wheels and tires back on and it doesnt do it.

Quick Reply: Jerky Ride?