4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stuck throttle

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:10 PM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

Default Stuck throttle

I have a 2002 GT. The only mods are 70mm MAC TB, C&L intake plenum, K&N, and flows. Here's my issue. When I am accelerating real quickly (as most stang owners do) sometimes my throttle sticks at around 4K. This appears to only happen when I'm in gear. When I rev up to 4K in neutral it doesn't stick. When it does this I have to shutdown the car and pull over, pop the hood and shut the throttle body to full close. The throttle body isn't stuck open very much I would say less than 1/8 of an inch. The last thing done to my car was, I had the clutch replaced by a shop. I have reset the computer (by disconnecting the battery) and this still happens. Again this only appears to happen when I'm in gear. Would a bad TPS cause this or computer? Thanks for any input.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:01 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Stuck throttle

My MAC TB did the same thing. The screws that hold the flap inside the TB are loose. Just tighten them and manually open and close ur TB quickly a few times to make sure it doesn't catch and you'll be all set.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:56 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Your throttle body is just sticking open a little, it's not computer controlled, just mechanically. Like 9gt6 suggested just be sure everything is tightened down, and it should be ok.

Only the 05+'s are fly by wire.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:02 AM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

Hey thanks for the input. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow and let you guys know. Hopefully that's all it is.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:05 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Thats why you dont buy mac parts [8D]
Old 12-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

LOOSE SCREWS????If this is what you find be sure to use Red Loctite on them before you put everything back together.Be sure to repost and let everyone know what you find.Even a small screw running around inside your engine at high RPM'S could bend valves or poke holes in pistons.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:49 PM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

Well...I just finished taking apart everything and the screws were a little loose, don't know how loose it would have to be to do what XX9GT6XX says did to his Stang. I put some lock tite on it snugged up all the hardware on the intake plenum, TB and air intake. Going to take it out on the highway here in a little bit and see what happens. Wish me luck. Yeah...I don't think I'm buying MAC parts anymore...got this part off of Ebay (new) but still...
Old 12-20-2005, 08:57 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: lujandj

Well...I just finished taking apart everything and the screws were a little loose, don't know how loose it would have to be to do what XX9GT6XX says did to his Stang. I put some lock tite on it snugged up all the hardware on the intake plenum, TB and air intake. Going to take it out on the highway here in a little bit and see what happens. Wish me luck. Yeah...I don't think I'm buying MAC parts anymore...got this part off of Ebay (new) but still...
MAC is hit or miss usually......[>:]

I only trust their exhaust.....how can you go wrong with pipes?
Old 12-23-2005, 12:26 AM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

Well...it appears to be okay now. But what I do have is a real annoying sound coming from the header area of the car. I only hear it when the car is above 45 MPH. This started up when my throttle was sticking. May I have blown a seal or gasket somewhere. I don't see any leaks, no fluid loss, I don't think I've lost any power...if I have I'm not noticing it. The sound is almost louder than my flows. I can barely hear my exhaust. If I did blow a seal or gasket somewhere...where could it be? It almost sounds like the Fan whinning really loud but I don't think the fan could out do my exhuast....What now?

Silver Bullet Stang
Old 12-23-2005, 12:27 AM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

Well...it appears to be okay now. But what I do have is a real annoying sound coming from the header area of the car. I only hear it when the car is above 45 MPH. This started up when my throttle was sticking. May I have blown a seal or gasket somewhere. I don't see any leaks, no fluid loss, I don't think I've lost any power...if I have I'm not noticing it. The sound is almost louder than my flows. I can barely hear my exhaust. If I did blow a seal or gasket somewhere...where could it be? It almost sounds like the Fan whinning really loud but I don't think the fan could out do my exhuast....What now?

Silver Bullet Stang

Quick Reply: Stuck throttle