4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tuner, again

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 09:50 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Default tuner, again

Ok, I read the last post about which tuner to get and by the time I was finished I was in worse shape then I was before. Here's my deal. I want a tuner (obviously), and I want to be able to tune my car later on for mods I will be adding. I know the SCT is pre-programed to your car, and I also know there is software for it. But Can I still adjust everything lets say 5 months from now when I get gears? Or will I have to send it back and pay $$ for them to re-program it? Also this is a MUST, it HAS to be able to adjust shift points and firmness, and I don't see how they can pre-program it just how I want it. The diablosport seems very nice and I like the fact you can change anything anytime you want. But if you can use this software for the SCT, wouldn't that make it better? Basically, I want to make sure I can tune the car anytime I want to because of mods I will be putting on later on. I don't want to have to send the tuner back every 3 months because I got a mod I need to adjust for. Also, where would I get the SCT tuning program if I decided to get the SCT?

Thanks for your patience. I'm just making sure I get what I really want, and not end up with something I'll end up regreting.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:55 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: tuner, again

ttt
Old 12-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Both tuners have the ability to adjust shift points as well as firmness. When you buy the SCT Xcal2 your dealer can send you your XTR file witch you can edit with the tuning software and load it to your tuner and reflash. You can use the XTR as a base tune and make as many tunes as you want and save them to your PC. If you want to be EVEN MORE advanced with the SCT you can get the Pro Racer upgrade package, which is the Advantage III software that the actual dealer uses to tune SCT's. Its about a $299 upgrade, but well worth it in my opinion. Since there is only so much you can do with the Xtreme Tune software.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:17 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TMG

Both tuners have the ability to adjust shift points as well as firmness. When you buy the SCT Xcal2 your dealer can send you your XTR file witch you can edit with the tuning software and load it to your tuner and reflash. You can use the XTR as a base tune and make as many tunes as you want and save them to your PC. If you want to be EVEN MORE advanced with the SCT you can get the Pro Racer upgrade package, which is the Advantage III software that the actual dealer uses to tune SCT's. Its about a $299 upgrade, but well worth it in my opinion. Since there is only so much you can do with the Xtreme Tune software.
So I can tune either whenever I want? It's just one I do through a computer and the other through the tuner?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:20 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Both tuners you can adjust setting with the handheld. If you want GOOD data logging the SCT takes the cake IMO. All the options in the Xtreme Tune software are accessable through the tuner itself as well ( Xcal2 and SF ). But if you plan on really getting down with your car and tuning it yourself at the track i suggest you get the SCT. That is the only advantage really, another thing you want to consider is what are the dyno tuners in your area using? SCT or DiabloSport?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:00 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TMG

Both tuners you can adjust setting with the handheld. If you want GOOD data logging the SCT takes the cake IMO. All the options in the Xtreme Tune software are accessable through the tuner itself as well ( Xcal2 and SF ). But if you plan on really getting down with your car and tuning it yourself at the track i suggest you get the SCT. That is the only advantage really, another thing you want to consider is what are the dyno tuners in your area using? SCT or DiabloSport?
Ok so basically they are the same, but if you really want to tune your car, and do it right get the SCT? So I can adjust everything through the tuner just like the predator, but I can also get on the laptop with the software and tune the car more in depth also? I can adjust the tranny, gears, and everything else I need. So why bother with the predator? And you said the SCT gives better gains. Hmm, ok. I guess the SCT sounds good. One question though. Why does the tuner have to be programed to my car?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:03 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

I think you can get the same gains out of either with the right tuner. But if you want to do real tuning yourself with real software just like the dealers id get the SCT. Here are some screenshots of the pro race upgrade.

You can adjust anything and everything. If your going to be a "weekend warrior" at the track id go for the SCT. If all you want is a good tune and dont care about really getting into it yourself, it doesnt matter which one you get.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:05 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

How much is the upgraded software?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:08 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

$299, but remember this is the same exact software the SCT dealers use to make tunes. Well worth it in my opinion. You could get your tune from your dealer, and drive on that whil you save up for parts and the software.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:09 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Another thing you may want to consider is the ability to connect 4 analog read outs to the SCT Xcal2 for data logging, such as a Wideband o2 for a/f ratio.

Quick Reply: tuner, again