4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 06:19 PM
Ghostface

Default lowering springs?

so u guys think the steeda sports drop about 1.5 inches instead of the advertised 1-1.25? I'm looking at the H&amp;R supersports with the advertised 1.75 front/1.5 rear but it seems most people say they settle at around 2.00 or more, which is too low and seems kinda 'import' style to me. </P>

</P>

Are you guys using c/c plates for the steeda sports? If not, did your alignment come into spec? Thanks a lot. </P>
Old 01-30-2004, 06:38 PM
JHonor
2nd Gear Member

Let me say something about ground clearance: I had H&amp;R Supersports on an 02' GT vert and switched them to Steedas recently. The H&amp;R's lowered the car way more than advertised and the K-member was literally 2.75 inches from the ground. Needless to say, I had trouble with bumps, potholes, car washes, entering Jiffy Lube's oil change bay, and more. I loved them, but for a daily driver, that 2 inches was simply too low. The Steedas offered a good compromise. Not to rag on the H&amp;Rs; they are bad! The stance and handling ws great, but hey, there's trade off's and compromises to everything.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Ghostface

thanks for your input, i think i'll stay away from the supersports. </P>

After the Steeda sports settle, do u still have the problem of the passenger side being a inch higher than the driver's side? Are CC plates necessary for the steedas? Thanks a lot. </P><edited><editID>Ghostface</editID><editDate>38016.6981481481</editDate></edited>
Old 01-30-2004, 06:46 PM
JHonor
2nd Gear Member

Just be wary of springs that advertise a 2 inch drop. It doesn't sound like much when you look at a 4x4 Mustang, but it always turns out that way. The springs settle after they've been on there. Just wanted to let you know about the trade off's though buddy. 1.25 to 1.5 drops are usually pretty bad ***.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Tach9
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JHonor
Just be wary of springs that advertise a 2 inch drop. It doesn't sound like much when you look at a 4x4 Mustang, but it always turns out that way. The springs settle after they've been on there. Just wanted to let you know about the trade off's though buddy. 1.25 to 1.5 drops are usually pretty bad ***.
I wouldn't worry too much about the lowered stance with the H & R Super Sport Springs. I have them on a 2003 Mach 1..no problems with being too low at all. YMMV, but you're in Calif as I am and the roads are pretty good. The one thing for the street that I like about the H & R SS are the ride characteristics, very nice... I also agree too low is not good...here's my measurements: from the grount to the inside fender lip, front : 26.25" and the rear" 26.75" 17 x 9 fronts w/235-45-17 Toyo RA-1's & 17 x 9.5 w/275-40-17 Toyo RA-1's....
Old 02-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Ghostface

Tach9&gt; did you give the springs a chance to settle? I'm also planning to go with some new Mach 1 strut/shock combo, so i'll have a very similar setup to yours if i go with it on my '00 GT. How did you alignment come out and did you need c/c plates? I really love the stance on the SS, there's a huge thread at stangnet on springs. i'll post a link if anyone wants to see lots of lowered mustangs.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:27 PM
JHonor
2nd Gear Member

Perhaps the lowering characteristics are different with the various cars? I have 2002 GT Convertible, so that might play a role. All I know is that when I had those springs, the clearance under the car was no more than the aspect ratio of the tire. Go figure if you ever had a flat on the front (your K Member and oil pan will give you a nice sparky light show). Smooth roads, yeah I agree, they were perfect; never had a problem. But I live in the DC Metro area and the roads are less than perfect; lots of bumps, holes, etc.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Ghostface

JHonor- yeah, i think your right about the difference in being coupe and vert. On the thread at stangnet, verts with steeda sports had a perfect drop, while coupes barely looked like its even been dropped and there was still a huge fendergap with 18s.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:24 PM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

</P>

If I were you, go with Eibach.</P>

Just my opinion.</P>

</P>
Old 02-03-2004, 11:52 PM
N2OJunkie
I ♥ Acer