4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just spent the last 3 hours listening to Exhaust Clips... Here are my thoughts, comments, critiques.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 02:38 AM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

Default Just spent the last 3 hours listening to Exhaust Clips... Here are my thoughts, comments, critiques.

I just spent the last few hours listening to each and every one of the sound clips on Mustang Exhaust, Put File, This Forum, all over the net, anything I could find. I can honestly say this now for anybody looking to put exhaust on your car.

SLP Loudmouths, Magnaflow MagnaPacks, Borla Stingers, anything with a round resonator type is going to be louder than hell, raspy in most cases, not very deep, refined, powerful sounding at all. They are just EXTREMELY aggressive, mean, raspy, and sounds like they belong on a drag strip. It seems to me like a lot of you guys on here love that sound, but now I know it’s not for me at all.

I like the more Deep Rumble, Refined, Powerful loud, than the drag car sound. So anyone one on here looking for exhaust just know that if you don’t want your car TO THE EXTREME OF LOUD, do not buy those systems…

I was not impressed at all with Magnaflows’ line of mufflers or systems, they sound hollow, no character or rumble, IMO- don’t buy a magnaflow chambered muffler, they did not sound That much different than stock… DynoMax was the same for me, their Loud UltraFlow muffler just got back to that Raspy sound again…

Borlas’ line of mufflers are a little better, They give you that refined sound, not to loud, but louder than stock, IMO- They sounded the 3rd best to me. Just give them a listen if you’re into Borla…

I was very impressed with Hookers’ AeroChamber Mufflers, Great sound, Deep Rumble… You should check those out…

There are many other Mufflers on the market, Pypes, Cherry Bombs, Whatever Etc…

But in all honesty, after much research for days… In my opinion, Nothing, (Before I get killed for it by some people listen…) Nothing sounds better than FlowMasters… I’ve got to say that they know how to make it sound Gooooooooooooood…. Exactly what I’m looking for… They have the Deepest, Most Refined Rumble and Powerful (not Aggressive and crazy loudness) sound that I have heard. The Flowmaster 10’s sounded amazing with stock everything, The 40’s Sound Amazing stock, add a mid pipe and your set. For me and all the cars I’ve owned ( over 15 in the last 3 years ) I am confident in saying that with a very small amount of extras (if any), if your not happy with the loudness of the 40’s or even the 10’s, a cheap mid pipe will make you tickled pink …

So there ya go, my 2 cents haha

-Peace
Old 02-01-2006, 02:54 AM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just spent the last 3 hours listening to Exhaust Clips... Here are my thoughts, comments, critiques.

A couple more things... The Drone as we call it on the Flows... I think that is sweet haha... on the highway actually try to Keep my revs right around 2000, 2500 to hear that exhaust rumbly, Not Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh rAwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww pop, pop, ping ping,

2nd, im not bashing the Loud Systems, its just not for me... On a Chevelle SS maybe, but not a mustang unless your planning on building a street rod
Old 02-01-2006, 02:55 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Just spent the last 3 hours listening to Exhaust Clips... Here are my thoughts, comments, critiq

I completely agree 100%. I love Flowmasters, hands down my favorite sound of all time. People love their SLPs, I usually hate that sound. I love Flowmasters, people hate that sound. Thats the beauty of being able to think for yourself. I'm glad you decided to do all this research instead of taking everyones advice that told you omg please don't get flows.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:57 AM
WAG03GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just spent the last 3 hours listening to Exhaust Clips... Here are my thoughts, comments, critiques.

I know exactly what you mean
Old 02-01-2006, 02:59 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Cherry Bombs=THE WIN
Old 02-01-2006, 03:02 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

And once again...

You have been listening to exhaust sounds on videos, and videos alone. Regardless of how many countless yours you've wasted in trying to make your decision based on these videos.

With that in mind, your WRONG on your assumptions on the SLP Loudmouth series catbacks. They are super aggressive of course, but to say they are not low toned is just absurd. If your wide open throttle, it's obviously not. But down low, I guarantee you will have a hard time finding ANYTHING on the market that matches it at idle or low rpm driving. As I have said, the low tone is so overwhelming at times it's unbearable. You have not experienced a deep toned exhaust pipe until you have ridden in an SLP setup going uphill at 2k rpm. Deep doesn't begin to describe it.

I just find it humerous that your judging tone and audio quality and basing assumptions on a collection of internet videos recorded primarily on low budget camcorders and audio recorders that lack the hardware to let you know what it truly sounds like. This is not just a defense on SLP, but other pipes as well that were included in this "review". I haven't heard some of the other setups in person, but I can speak for the Magnaflow setups as well. They sound fantastic with an assortment of midpipes/headers.

As always, you have to hear it in person.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:03 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

...and yes, I AM bored out of my mind tonight. No hard feelings.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:10 AM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

Regardless of the sound quality on the recordings and videos, most of which were actually very good, the Flowmasters have the same chance at not sounding “True” as one would say. And IMO, Every Video, Clip, Mp3 or whatever I heard, the Flowmasters sounded by far the best to me. Also for the money conscious, Flowmaster setups are cheaper than most too.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:13 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

And still, you need to hear some of these in real life to know what they truly sound like.

Videos like this made everyone in the forum practically insane over SLP, and that's only 1 good video.

But I guess some of these people that are jumping on the "I hate so and so" bandwagon are now going to retract their statements.

SLP (Click Me)

...and also, your sadly mistaken if you think Flowmaster is anywhere even close to as deep a sound as SLP Loudmouth.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:16 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Real life and up close is SO much different than sound clips.

Quick Reply: Just spent the last 3 hours listening to Exhaust Clips... Here are my thoughts, comments, critiques.