4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

FOR ANYONE WITH THROTTLE BODY AND PLENUM QUESTONS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:15 PM
dtkikols
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: FOR ANYONE WITH THROTTLE BODY AND PLENUM QUESTONS

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

If by "pretty much stock" you mean that no exhaust work has been done then do that first before spending money on a TB & plenum. A catted (or o/r if you wish) 2-1/2" X or H-pipe, and 2-1/2" catback will be far less restrictive then the stock exhaust and give a noticeable boost at higher revs.[/align][/align]Next, for a non-PI engine and 'twas me, I'd get a premium fuel tune (93 if you can get it) which will add considerabletorquebetween 2000 and 4000 rpm due to the timing advance possible with the higher octane fuel.[/align][/align]The plenum is the weak point in the OEM intake* and since thevolumetric efficiencyof the non-PI engine is not all that great (that's whyFord was able to add 35 HP with the PIchanges)the stock 65 mm TB is probably sufficient if mated to almost any aftermarket plenum.[/align][/align]As for the "best TB/plenum", Accufab's is generally considered to be the best-best however the TrickFlow/Professional Products (they are the same) cost about 1/2 as much and offer 95%+ of the performance. And again, and I do mean to harp on this, on a non-PI engine (even with a tune) an aftermarket TB/plenum will add very little noticeable gain.[/align][/align]======================[/align]* - Here areAccufab's flow numbers (reformatted)for a variety of TB/plenum combinations, you'll see that the 65 mm TB onany aftermarket TB will flow enough air to keep a non-PI engine happy.[/align]

I checked out your website (very good info i might add) and it seems with the stock pi intake i can only flow a maximum of 372- 388cfm. While i have a better flowing exhaust then stock im assuming i might be bottlenecking a little at WOT? Would it be benificial to get a better flowing plenum and keep my stock TB?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:01 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: FOR ANYONE WITH THROTTLE BODY AND PLENUM QUESTONS

It won't hurt and would provide more benefit that doing the TB first, however as I said above a premium fuel tune will do more after first doing some exhaust work than anything you can do to the intake. [/align][/align]The OEM tune is designed to first best meet benefit Ford's CAFE rating, performance is a secondary consideration. The good news is that with a good 93 octane tune you will get noticably better power and will not lose any fuel economy. [/align][/align]With 93 still only 20ยข to 30ยข more than regularwhy not...[/align]
Old 02-02-2014, 10:43 PM
BowtieBrother

You also have to think about the CFM of the heads and intake to!