4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I have an oil leak but don't know what the part is called

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:22 AM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

Default I have an oil leak but don't know what the part is called

In my 96 gt I have an oil leak coming from the three metal wires in the back right corner of the engine. It is the three prong things. It is past the master cylinder. Two of the metal wires (or tubes, don't really know what to call them) are fine. The third is leaking. The two that look like they lead to the oil pan itself are fine. It is the one that is hooked into the black engine part that is connected to the master cylinder. The leak is not horribly bad because I drive it every day to work and the engine is just fine. I don't know what the cause of it is or what to do. I have to put an extra quart of oil in between oil changes. I am currently using 10w-40 this last oil change.

The car has 203,000 miles on it. It has been leaking for almost a year now and I just realized where it is coming from. It took so long to realize because the oil is landing on the engine bay and just sticking to it. None of it is on the ground. Is it just getting old and should I just accept it? Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Cali_Swag; 06-11-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 06-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

I do not know of your model year or engine details.
But, generally speaking it sounds like a sending unit for the oil pressure gauge. I do not know of any other components that would have exposure to pressurized oil.

The oil leak "might" not get worse, but it could get catastrophically worse at any minute. You could be driving down the highway and have the unit blow completely and all your oil will be pumped out rather quickly.
Due to the possibility of a catastrophic failure (even if remote) I would replace the offending part asap. Just imagine how you would feel if you didn't replace the part and it cost you an engine...... That would REALLY suck.

You should be able to find info on the offending part online. For my Cobra I have found exploded views on Ford websites that list all parts by name and part numbers. It just takes a little searching.

Last edited by Old Mustanger; 06-09-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:31 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
I do not know of your model year or engine details.
But, generally speaking it sounds like a sending unit for the oil pressure gauge. I do not know of any other components that would have exposure to pressurized oil.

The oil leak "might" not get worse, but it could get catastrophically worse at any minute. You could be driving down the highway and have the unit blow completely and all your oil will be pumped out rather quickly.
Due to the possibility of a catastrophic failure (even if remote) I would replace the offending part asap. Just imagine how you would feel if you didn't replace the part and it cost you an engine...... That would REALLY suck.

You should be able to find info on the offending part online. For my Cobra I have found exploded views on Ford websites that list all parts by name and part numbers. It just takes a little searching.

Not only loose the engine, he could loose the whole car. I had a incident similar to the one you describe, and the oil caught on fire as it was sprayed on to the headers.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:42 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Im confused...what it sounds like your describing could be a part of the hydroboost system, aka what is leaking would be power steering fluid most likely.

Some pictures would help.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

I'm trying to upload some pictures for you guys.. It is definitely oil and nothing else.. I checked all my other fluid levels.. Plus I have to keep adding oil because the low oil light keeps coming on about every 2-3 weeks
Old 06-10-2012, 05:53 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

There should be no engine oil lines connecting to the brake booster, master cylinder or any part of the hydroboost system, what you are describing sounds like a hydroboost line like justin mentioned.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I've got motor oil leaking from my a/c vents in the dash..halp!
Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
I've got motor oil leaking from my a/c vents in the dash..halp!
Justinschmidt1 approves this message
Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cali_Swag
I'm trying to upload some pictures for you guys.. It is definitely oil and nothing else.. I checked all my other fluid levels.. Plus I have to keep adding oil because the low oil light keeps coming on about every 2-3 weeks
Well old dirty power steering fluid could easily be mistaken as oil man.

It could just be a coincidence that your car is burning oil too.

Like uberstand just said, there is no oil lines running anywhere.

Your oil doesnt run anywhere...its all in the engine, there are no lines.

Your 96 GT has an Oil cooler but its built into the oil filter adapter.

Just to reinforce this again, there is no engine oil leaking from those lines you are describing.

Last edited by justinschmidt1; 06-10-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

These cars spec for atf fluidfor the powersteering, if its brown dirty tranny fluid thats what it is.

Quick Reply: I have an oil leak but don't know what the part is called