4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Anyone here know how to properly Drift?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:32 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Default Anyone here know how to properly Drift?

Good morning ladies!!!!! lol

So early this morning I was playing around with my friends stang in New Jersey. I'm up here in the Garden State visting family and friends. We just finished washing the car and decided to play in circit citys open parking lot while we still had wet tires. We did the usual dumping the clutch opening the throttle all the way and cutting the wheel to the left or right to get the car to either half donut or full donut. But then we decided to actual try and get the car in a controlled drift and nothing. We used the E-Brake, gas and brake, over braking, you know the stuff you see in the Movies and Speed network shows where the drivers make it seem soo easy...... Try as we might we could not get the car to successffuly drift in between the parking lines of the lot.

After about 15 minutes we stopped because Mall security was coming around the other side of the mall.Anyone know how to do this?

And I never realized how crowded the entire state of Jersey was when I lived there until now......... HOLY ****!!!!! How can you even stand driving with a 5speed car here? My left leg would fall off! From I-95 in the morning to Rt42, to Rt676...... WTF??? I feel for Stang Owners in Jersey.... Specially with the emissions laws.[:@]Can't even get away with Hi-Flow cats here. CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK TO TEXAS!

Old 07-10-2007, 09:43 AM
StealthGT2V
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone here know how to properly Drift?

Drifting is mainly all about car control and balance. A proper suspension set up is very important in keeping the car stable and "under control while beeing out of control"....Having good balance,steady power/torque curve, and an LSD are all essentialswhen drifting...Well "most" proffesional D1 drifters or experienced drifters require no use of the e brake while they throw the cars weight around and properly control it through throttle and balance...If you want to really get into it, learn your car in empty parking lots, or they even have sanctioned drift events which allows you to practice (from newbies to pros) all are welcome...

Here in NY andsome other parts of the tri-state area, drifting and touge racing(mountain/road racing)have reigned supreme over drag racing/street racing just due to the crack down of street racing locally..Some travel to local "dead backroads/mountain roads" to get away from the cops and now crowded streets at any time of the night...

Old 07-10-2007, 09:55 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

What type of suspension is usually used for drifters? More of like a daily driver suspension? Road race suspension? I doubt a drag suspension will work... lol
Old 07-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Sec2Nun
1st Gear Member

im also into drifting and the best way to start learning how to drift is by goin to an open parking lot start of by doin donuts as your picking up speed make sure you keep good throttle control keep the car goin around in circles gradually start opening up your circles by controlling your steering wheel what i mean by this is when you go to do a donut you throw the wheel all the way left or all the way right, Right ok well as your doing you donuts start letting offthe steering wheel little by little and you'll see that your donuts will get bigger and bigger, hense your bigging to drift. practise that for a while till you become good at it. once you think you got it good do the same thing BUT this time do it in second gear, this time you'll really start to drift your donuts will now be really big once you see that your now sliding around side ways try counter steering alil not to much cause then you'll under steer, what will happen now when you counter steer your car will start to slide the opitset way hense once again you've begun to drift.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

i think the most important thing is to learn how the car feels while it's sideways. i used to practice on a roundabout when ever it rained just to get a feel for the car and surprisingly it was very stable and easy to control tail-out, but not as responsive and nimbleas my buddy's 240. once in a while i'll take the long way home and go through the mountains were i have the road to myselfso i can have a little fun

Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Sec2Nun
1st Gear Member

i have to agree you have to really know your car. if you can master your car you'll be able to master the art of drifting
Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Wow. Seems pretty difficult..... So it can be done on a drag set up suspension right?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Old 07-10-2007, 10:30 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

LMAO at that one adam!That **** is funny!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

hahahaha i haven't seen that clip in a while

Quick Reply: Anyone here know how to properly Drift?