4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lightning and me messing around on the hwy

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Default Lightning and me messing around on the hwy

Just curious i expected it to be faster...... 60-100 maybe 105 my front bumper was at his front tires

70-? 4th gear almost out maybe 110-120 my front bumper was around the middle of the truck..... but after 95 he pulled alot faster

man the supercharger sounded so good
Old 07-31-2007, 07:56 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Lightning and me messing around on the hwy

Old 07-31-2007, 08:31 PM
xander0561
3rd Gear Member

naw man there not that fast. My friend has an 04 and it's got magnaflows and a pully and tune. Runs mid 13's I think. It's just tooooooooooo heavy. And your absolutley correct, it's "fast" from about 50 to 100,before andafter that....... it's over. [&:]
Old 07-31-2007, 08:59 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xander0561

naw man there not that fast. My friend has an 04 and it's got magnaflows and a pully and tune. Runs mid 13's I think. It's just tooooooooooo heavy. And your absolutley correct, it's "fast" from about 50 to 100,before andafter that....... it's over. [&:]
ok because 3rd and first half of 4th i was ahead then around 95 he started pulling

mid 13's i wonder what mine would run then
Old 07-31-2007, 09:05 PM
xander0561
3rd Gear Member

I dunno man, Im just speaking from experience of riding in his, Like I said I can really feel it pulling hard to about 100, then it's over. The truck you raced may have been set up differently though.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:07 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xander0561

I dunno man, Im just speaking from experience of riding in his, Like I said I can really feel it pulling hard to about 100, then it's over. The truck you raced may have been set up differently though.
not sure didn't get to ask he he had exhaust that i know of........
Old 07-31-2007, 10:12 PM
SHO NO MERCY
4th Gear Member

pulley, tune, cutouts and they run mid 13s? I didn't know they were that quick. I knew they were supercharged, but it's still a heavy someabitch...
Old 07-31-2007, 10:42 PM
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

This is just a random article I found and if he has all those mods on his lightning and is only runnin mid 13's there is sumthin wrong lol.

Comparison between lightning and Ram srt-10

Laying Down the Numbers

The SRT-10 is the most powerful production pickup available on the market today. It produces 90 percent of its torque between 1500-5600 rpm and can roar to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds. The quarter mile is gobbled up in 13.3 seconds with a trap speed of 106.9 mph. We found a 3500-rpm launch is required to get the 22-inch rear wheels to spin--anything less than that and the tires would initially break free and then suddenly gain traction and bog the motor. Senior road-test editor Chris Walton was surprised by the truck's ability to hook up during quarter-mile launches. "Who knew a pickup truck with this type of power wouldn't just sit there and roast the rear tires? I was impressed at how well the traction bars [unique to the SRT-10] work to minimize tire spin."
BDespite a 120-horsepower deficit to the SRT-10, the Lighting still managed to whip out respectable test numbers. The blown V-8 is good for a 5.1-second 0-to-60 run and a quarter-mile shot of 13.6 seconds at 102.0 mph. However, testing proved that performance diminishes quickly when the supercharger heats up after just a few runs. Walton says, "Getting a good launch required careful listening to the mechanics of the transmission and supercharger boost. The rest of the run is 'automatic', and I'm just along for the ride."
Old 07-31-2007, 11:30 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

ok because 3rd and first half of 4th i was ahead then around 95 he started pulling

You can't really base it off that. Are you stick or auto. From a roll, a stick has a huge advantage. If you don't nail an auto at the right time, it doesn't shift down and that really makes it feel slow (you auto guys know what I mean).I'm pretty familiar with Lightnings, as my dad and brother each have one. You are correct, from a roll, they are definitely not quick. Your GT should be where it was against a stock Lightning.
Now, the reason why you can't base your quarter mile off of that is because off the Lightning's torque (450 ft. lbs.). If you ran him from a stop, he would have walked you. They are a lot easier to launch than GT's, and the supercharger gets them out of the hole pretty quick. It is true, they are around 13.6-13.8 seconds or so from factory form.
But still, stock Lightnings aren't that fast. The "supercharger" makes people think they are. You can easily take a bolt-on/gears GT and outrun a Lightning. Bolt-on Lightnings can be adifferent storythough, as a few bolt-ons easily makes them 12 second players.

BTW, I die laughing everytime I see your sig white04gt! lol
Old 08-01-2007, 06:19 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

You can't really base it off that. Are you stick or auto. From a roll, a stick has a huge advantage. If you don't nail an auto at the right time, it doesn't shift down and that really makes it feel slow (you auto guys know what I mean).I'm pretty familiar with Lightnings, as my dad and brother each have one. You are correct, from a roll, they are definitely not quick. Your GT should be where it was against a stock Lightning.
Now, the reason why you can't base your quarter mile off of that is because off the Lightning's torque (450 ft. lbs.). If you ran him from a stop, he would have walked you. They are a lot easier to launch than GT's, and the supercharger gets them out of the hole pretty quick. It is true, they are around 13.6-13.8 seconds or so from factory form.
But still, stock Lightnings aren't that fast. The "supercharger" makes people think they are. You can easily take a bolt-on/gears GT and outrun a Lightning. Bolt-on Lightnings can be adifferent storythough, as a few bolt-ons easily makes them 12 second players.

BTW, I die laughing everytime I see your sig white04gt! lol
5 speed

Quick Reply: Lightning and me messing around on the hwy