4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Single Turbo vs. Twin Turbo

Old 08-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Single Turbo vs. Twin Turbo

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

I just don't get this huge mass misconception on single and twin turbos. Why does everyone seem to think that twins will make this huge nasty non streetable car? Of course you can drive a TT car on the street. In most cases it's more streetable then a large single turbo.

In all cases they are generally more street friendly as most use 2 smaller sized turbos compared to one large turbo. By using the smaller turbos, you get much quicker spool time and practically no lag. But, two twin 60mms wont create the power that one large 108 mm turbo will.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 AM
sstang
5th Gear Member

well twin turbo is naturally gonna be better, double the boost
WOW! In that case I'm gonna add 3 or 4!!! lol

Like mentioned above, hp goals is what shoul determine whether you turbo or not. Most supercharger streetable applications I see go up to 650 rwhp or so, and some in the 700's, and few a little higher. I've seen many turbo cars going over 800 rwhp, many cases hitting 4 figures (thats 1,000 hp for those who aren'tmath wizards).

Centri's are much more affordable though, which is why they are so common. I would like to know what's the highest hpcentri powered 2V you guys have seen that is still streetable? I would love a link.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:07 AM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

single larger turbo ftw.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 AM
sstang
5th Gear Member

single larger turbo ftw.
+1 and easier to make if you are making the kit yourself.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:28 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

I want a turbo now!!!

I'm still bouncing between F/I options...

I think a single turbo that will just wake up the car a little bit will suffice for me. Plus, I got alot of miles on my car (105k), and a s/c seems like it will wear the motor down more.

How much would a single turbokitthat will set me at around 400rwhp cost? And how big would it be?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:31 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Like would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TURBO...QQcmdZViewItem

much less than a supercharger...
Old 08-02-2007, 01:17 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

well twin turbo is naturally gonna be better, double the boost. but u better have an engine of steel. IMO all you really need is one turbo, unless your building a strictly drag car youll never use a twin turbo on the street
Just because it has 2 turbos doesn't mean its going to build more boost, boost is not controled by the turbos, but rather the blowoff valve.

You don't run 2 turbos for more boost, you run them so you can have the same amount of boost and CFM up top, but far far less lag down low. 2 smaller turbos will spool up faster than 1 big one.

and rear tires stickier than a wh*res **** after a gang bang. single turbo or s/c is enough for a dd or weekend warrior. Twin turbos require alot of rebuilding, tranny, suspension, rear end, etc.
Once again... having a single or twin setup has nothing to do with the power output per se. You can run a set of twins on a dd street car, or a single as a high horsepower race only car, the only difference is how you set it up, and what you want to do.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

Like would this work?

LOL, go buy that and let us know how it goes. Pfft.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

Like would this work?

#1 - that kit is for a 302 motor
#2 - those turbos look like they would be pretty crappy

Again to the OP for a street car w/ a 4.6 motor w/under 700rwhp there would be no real advantage going with a TT setup (as a single 76mm turbo with a proper A/R setup would spool relatively quick and could produce nearly 900 - 1000rwhp on a worked over motor). Now if you had a drag car pushing close to 2000rwhp using a single turbo on an engine as small as a 4.6 it may not be feasible to run a single turbo asfull boostwould be too high into the rpm band, therefore making a TT a better choice. However, if you had a 2000rwhp car making the power wouldn't be your biggest concern, getting it to the ground would be. Also someone mentioned that a supercharger was not as good as a turbo, just not true... comparing apples and pears, close but different animals. There are superchargers that support over 2000rwhp, so a turbo car despite being more effecient is not always more powerful. I suggest that the OP does some research on F/I before considering buying anything.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:13 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

once you get yourself turbo headers the rest of the kit is easy. its finding someone who makes turbo headers for the 4.6

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Single Turbo vs. Twin Turbo