4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Single Turbo vs. Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:56 PM
ajmodelski
2nd Gear Member

Default Single Turbo vs. Twin Turbo

SO which is better? I have seen the differant kits. Namely Hellion and HP and I want to know wich is better? What is the differance in spool up time? What is the efficiency differance? Also, will it matter if I run an aftermarket Intake? Will a longer intake run affect the car under boost. Please, let me know.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:12 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Single Turbo vs. Twin Turbo

well twin turbo is naturally gonna be better, double the boost. but u better have an engine of steel. IMO all you really need is one turbo, unless your building a strictly drag car youll never use a twin turbo on the street
Old 08-01-2007, 03:18 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

If I was building a kit I would go single. Check out theturboforum.com and go to the modular section. They will help you with any turbo questions.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:30 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

well twin turbo is naturally gonna be better, double the boost. but u better have an engine of steel. IMO all you really need is one turbo, unless your building a strictly drag car youll never use a twin turbo on the street
and rear tires stickier than a wh*res **** after a gang bang. single turbo or s/c is enough for a dd or weekend warrior. Twin turbos require alot of rebuilding, tranny, suspension, rear end, etc.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

Actually a single race turbo can put you around 1500rwhp with high boost levels on a 4.6. The main advantage to a TT depends on the TT setup. One like HP would be that you can run two smaller turbos which will boost up quick. If you were running a single turbo you would need to run a 76mm to get in the power range of HPs 57mm TT kit. Now this is an oversimplification at best, but since researching the F/I route myself, I would opt for a single turbo setup myself. If you don't go too big and the A/R is correct for your application you won't notice too much lag even with a bigger turbo. Examine what your goals are then decide from their. You might even decide that a SC is a better avenue.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:17 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Like Hulk99 said a lot of serious race guys will run one huge single turbo. You will see lag but it'll produce much better hp numbers in the end. You can't just look at it like the more turbos the more boost. Personally I would just do 1 appropriately sized turbo. It's cheaper and with a decent set up you shouldn't really notice to much lag. As far as the runner length, under boost it's not nearly as important as an N/A car. You shouldn't have any problems with an aftermarket intake.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

You're joking right?
Old 08-01-2007, 04:39 PM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

If I spent the money on a turbo setup, I would go twin turbo, just were I could say that I had twin turbos.. Just because you have tt doesnt mean you cant drive it on the street, and it doesnt mean you cant run low boost--IMO
Old 08-01-2007, 05:18 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

You're joking right?
I hope so myself ... engine of steel huh... lmao i think he means plastic spray painted steel silver?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:45 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I just don't get this huge mass misconception on single and twin turbos. Why does everyone seem to think that twins will make this huge nasty non streetable car? Of course you can drive a TT car on the street. In most cases it's more streetable then a large single turbo.

Quick Reply: Single Turbo vs. Twin Turbo