4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lowered Mustang by Cutting Spring Coils

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:39 AM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Lowered Mustang by Cutting Spring Coils

Great write up very well done. And y es you were using a griding disc on the ginder, a cut offdisk is alot skinnier and woudl cut that much faster lol, but whatever works.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 AM
MustangFreak77

First of all, it was a good write up... unfortunately it is not recommended.
Can you say bumpsteer? Removing coils on a spring will increase the spring rate. It is a general rule to improve handling of any car to get softer springs. I seriously doubt your car handled better than before but that is your opinion. Just my .02.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:06 PM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

whether it handles better or not, and blah blah, it looks better, and you can't tell a diff. in ride quality. so who cares. Nice write up
Old 08-11-2007, 12:48 PM
WAG03GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: importkiller89

it was an insult and i was just imputing my experences because i have driven a lowered civic and i also have driven a stang with cut front springs and i do apreciatethe wirte up and i belive that it is guys like u that create companys like steeda but i was just voiceing on my experances apon the subjectand in my experences a lowered civic has the most horable ride ever i will never dirve a civic that is loweredagain in my life and my buddy jut bought a stang and it had is front springs cut b4 he bought it and when u hit a bumb it bounces for ever and it isnt the shocks because the arenew sothe guy who cut the springs might have let them heat up like u said not to but i belive heat decereaces springstrength but in any case now that i think about it when i decide to lower my stang i might cut the springsgood right up thanks for the info
Wow some periods, commas, and correct spelling would make your statement a lot easier to read. Other than that i have no clue what you just said
Old 08-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

You guys know that there are 2 types of springs right? The stock springs are not progressive, so its not a horrible idea like say cutting crap eibach springs that are progressive rate.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:21 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

not bad, good work. i would do the back too, maybe 1 inch.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:28 PM
MustangFreak77

Yes, there are 2 types of springs and stock mustangs are constant rate. There is a formula for getting spring rate
11,250,000(constant for steel) x diameter of wire x 4 divided by 8 x number of coils x diameter of coil x 3 = spring rate
Regardless of what kind of spring it is: if you remove coils spring rate will go up and induce a rough ride and bump steer.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:31 PM
jersey98gt
2nd Gear Member

i would never cut my springs thats, ghetto riced out civic ****
Old 08-11-2007, 05:58 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: importkiller89

it was an insult and i was just imputing my experences because i have driven a lowered civic and i also have driven a stang with cut front springs and i do apreciatethe wirte up and i belive that it is guys like u that create companys like steeda but i was just voiceing on my experances apon the subjectand in my experences a lowered civic has the most horable ride ever i will never dirve a civic that is loweredagain in my life and my buddy jut bought a stang and it had is front springs cut b4 he bought it and when u hit a bumb it bounces for ever and it isnt the shocks because the arenew sothe guy who cut the springs might have let them heat up like u said not to but i belive heat decereaces springstrength but in any case now that i think about it when i decide to lower my stang i might cut the springsgood right up thanks for the info
These arefor you: . .. .

Great job on the write up though califas
Old 08-11-2007, 10:18 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Great write up & pics, but I always thought that if you cut the springs, that your car would have all the suspension charicteristics of a shopping cart afterwards

Quick Reply: Lowered Mustang by Cutting Spring Coils