4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I am fed up with my car!!!! Still makes metallic buzzing sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default I am fed up with my car!!!! Still makes metallic buzzing sound

As some of you know I've had an incessant rattling/metallic sound that comes from under my car under acceleration. Anything over 2k and it makes a horrible sound. The whole time I thought it was the exhaust itself. I replaced the mufflers, still made the sound. Had the entire catback welded, still made the sound. Replaced my MAC catback with Flowmaster, still makes the sound. I replace the midpipe gasket with a new one, and reinstall the Prochamber, still makes the sound. My friend thinks it's the vibration of the whole system which is making the fuel lines rattle. Thing is, when I first had my exhaust setup installed (Prochamber w/ MAC catback) it didn't make the sound, but after awhile once the exhaust was broken in it started to make the sound. Now I can't get rid of it. I'm afraid even if I replace the Prochamber the rattling will still be there from an X or H pipe. I really am lost and have no clue what to do. The only solution may be putting the stock H pipe on (4 cats[:'(]), or getting a catted midpipe ([:'(]).

My friend said he had never heard of anything like this before. It occurs in any gear at 2200-2500 rpm, or higher sometimes. Any advice? I'm tempted to find a stock H put that on and get rid of this car. Such a big money pit just to get the damn exhaust/rattling problem fixed.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:19 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I am fed up with my car!!!! Still makes metallic buzzing sound

I have no idea about the buzzing sound, but I know what you mean about the money pit thing. My car has been in the shop about 2 times per week ever since my lt's were put on. It seems like my car just doesnt wanna accept the lt's or somethin. Its hard to explain. It will actually be going back to the shop tomorrow for the 3rd time this week already, and all I did was put on my slp pipes to make the x o/r.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:21 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Where's the sound coming from exactly?
Try getting a video of it... like have one of your friends sit in the car with you while you drive.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:28 PM
ColinGT
4th Gear Member

Is it incredibly loud? if not mine does same thing but around like 1800, but its like somtin rattling in teh car n ic ant figure it out

my music half way up you cant hear it at all.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:29 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

actually take it on a dyno, that will allow someone to get down on the ground near the car and hopefully get an idea of where its comming from underneath the car. hell my tips rattles loose [:@] i blame the shop that did my exhaust but the driverside hanger for my exhaust tip fell out.. now my car looks retarded with the left side tip hanging lower than it should [:@][:@][:@][:@] but yeah my other tip started to make a horrible sound and finally i got underneath the car and tightened it. maybe i should just buy new tips...
Old 12-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

also check your clutch fork cover. see if that is loose at all. it could be that flat peice of metal between the bellhousing and the block. i hated that thing with a passion. i dunno just get under the car and check every nut and bolt. hopefully its nothing serious.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:31 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

My license plate used to rattle from my exhaust lol but that was because the bottom screws where missing on the plate.
My interior rattles sometimes but that's just because of the resonance. Amazing what resonance can do huh
Old 12-04-2007, 10:36 PM
ColinGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Slicktastyk Matt

My license plate used to rattle from my exhaust lol but that was because the bottom screws where missing on the plate.
My interior rattles sometimes but that's just because of the resonance. Amazing what resonance can do huh
Ya i need to fix my plate as well

Mine was touching the bottom of my car, like the loop that goes up n over the axle, slight to the left push and it fixed it. dmn it was annoyin for that week tho.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Slicktastyk Matt

Where's the sound coming from exactly?
Try getting a video of it... like have one of your friends sit in the car with you while you drive.
We did that, and it seems to be coming from the underneath of the car, more on the passenger side. We stuck a rag between the fuel lines and it still made the sound. It's a total mystery dude.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:55 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

resonance!

Quick Reply: I am fed up with my car!!!! Still makes metallic buzzing sound