4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

How to wash your engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Red02

Default RE: How to wash your engine bay

I love cleaning the engine bay. I cover everything up then hose everything down with hot water to loosen things up then spray everything down with some kind of degreaser let it soak for 2 minutes or so then hose down again with the hot water. We can screw a garden hose onto our faucet in the sink down cellar. ran a hose through the wall etc. enough rambaling. Hot water does make things a bit easier, hard to see at times though
Old 05-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Epic91GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: those of you who have new edge GTs and want to wash their engine bays

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

That looks really good man! Thanks for the advice! Nothings worse than a dirty engine bay
idk there can be a lot of things worse
Old 05-23-2008, 06:28 PM
monkeymanstang8797

After I clean my engine bay i always blow it out and i go over all the plastic parts (ex. Radiator overflow air filter tube hoses valve covers ect...) with tire shine... Gives off a very good shine.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:04 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

&amp\\;nbsp\\;I cover up NOTHING!!! Def stay off the air filter. I always spray my engine running and Only when it’s at running temp. Never cold. That is the biggest misconeption people have and why they have trouble with water. Spraying the battery is perfectly fine. Spraying the fuse box is fine as well, just cannot stay right on top of it. No alternator water. This is a must. Everything else has double insulated rubber protection from water and moisture. I leave the engine running with the hood just resting on the latch for about 1/2 hour so everything dries completely. Never spray a silicone tire type susbstance on your engine. It does nothing but catches dirt in every crack and crevice. Sure it looks good until you start driving down the road.&lt\\;br&gt\\;I’ve been a professional detailer for 10 years. I own my own detail business. I have cleaned several thousands of engines and never not once had any troubles with running or driveability!!!&lt\\;br&gt\\;
Old 06-12-2008, 09:34 PM
deetz03
1st Gear Member

awesome post, i'm definitely doing this come the weekend
Old 06-14-2008, 12:02 PM
devildg4671
1st Gear Member

There's also something you can buy, it's degreases and it also shines. I think it might be part of Armor All. But its only a few buck and it work greats.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 PM
blackhawk10

I have used gunk degreaser on mine, then i pressure wash it, BUT i didn't know that i was suppose to cover all that stuff. the good thing that i keep the gun away quite a bit for that reason not to damage anything. with this knoledge i will do it from now on ( i dont want to learn the hard way). One tip that i do and you guys might be interested is that for all the rubber hoses and stuff like that (EXCEPT BELT! it will make it squeek) i use a tire cleaner (found in autozone) sprayed onto a rag and clean to hose (dont apply directly to avoid over spray) and it will be like new! lol. NOTE: read the lable and make sure it says "wont atrack dusk/dirt." the one i use comes in a black bottle, it is water based and has silicone (i think) and it works great and makes the engine "plastics" look really nice and shiny. kinda like armor-all but shinyer!
Old 08-17-2008, 06:06 AM
ateupsoldier
1st Gear Member

how much would it cost to be lazy and just have a detail shop detail my engine?
Old 08-17-2008, 03:31 PM
02GT87
3rd Gear Member

Clean bay man props got a car show coming up and my engine is filthy...i definitely need to wash the engine bay but im supercharged what extra precautions should i take? or should i just do my best with a rag?
Old 08-17-2008, 06:55 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

i dont think there is much differnet with the supercharger than the n/a other than just keep the water away from the air filter

Quick Reply: How to wash your engine bay