4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Click, no boom. (won't start sometimes)

Old 03-20-2008, 01:15 PM
maireeka
1st Gear Member

Default Click, no boom. (won't start sometimes)

So far, this has happened two times.

I get in the car, put the key in, turn it to ON, everything's okay. When I turn the key to START to crank it up, I get a click and my gauges go dead. After this, I can take the key out, try again and the same thing happens again.

The FIRST time it happened, The car just magically cranked up after a couple of tries of taking the key out and putting it back in. The car turned over quickly just as it always does, and it fired up normally.

The SECOND time, (about two days and several starts later), I tried at least 8 times to take the key out and crank it again. Nothing. I noticed that there was a repetitive clicking under my left knee, near the fusebox. This noise started when I removed the key, and it continued after I removed the key. When I reinserted the key and turned it to ON, the noise went away, but still no start. The clicking continued after I removed the key that time.

I then unhooked the negative battery terminal for about 30 seconds, re attached it and she fired up on the first try.

This is disconcerting. I think the sound I was hearing was a relay under the dash, could that relay be going bad? The car is cranking quickly so I don't think it's the battery.

Any ideas, I don't want to end up stranded somewhere.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:50 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Click, no boom. (won't start sometimes)

I had the same thing happen to me. Mine was the starter going bad. I dealt with it until the starter finally died and replaced it.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: maireeka

So far, this has happened two times.

I get in the car, put the key in, turn it to ON, everything's okay. When I turn the key to START to crank it up, I get a click and my gauges go dead. After this, I can take the key out, try again and the same thing happens again.

The FIRST time it happened, The car just magically cranked up after a couple of tries of taking the key out and putting it back in. The car turned over quickly just as it always does, and it fired up normally.

The SECOND time, (about two days and several starts later), I tried at least 8 times to take the key out and crank it again. Nothing. I noticed that there was a repetitive clicking under my left knee, near the fusebox. This noise started when I removed the key, and it continued after I removed the key. When I reinserted the key and turned it to ON, the noise went away, but still no start. The clicking continued after I removed the key that time.

I then unhooked the negative battery terminal for about 30 seconds, re attached it and she fired up on the first try.

This is disconcerting. I think the sound I was hearing was a relay under the dash, could that relay be going bad? The car is cranking quickly so I don't think it's the battery.

Any ideas, I don't want to end up stranded somewhere.
Take the starter out and have it bench tested. Next time you get the quick ticking noise from under the dash see which relay is clicking. If the starter benches fine then it's either the relay under the dash or the ignition switch itself.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:39 PM
maireeka
1st Gear Member

I also noticed that my gauges are pegging out, going back to zero, and then working sometimes when I start the car. I read in a couple of threads that this is a sign that the battery is going dead. I will get the battery checked tomorrow morning, if it checks out okay then I'll get the starter bench tested.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:41 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

same hing happened to me in my exploder...it was the starter
Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 AM
maireeka
1st Gear Member

The battery checked out good. :-(

The positive terminal was really corroded, so I gave them both a good cleaning, and added some dielectric grease. We'll see what happens, but I guess if it happens again then it's most likely the starter.