4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Do your own maintence?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:44 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Do your own maintence?

ORIGINAL: ripped camel

ORIGINAL: 99BlackPonyGT

i dont do my own oil changes...dont have a decent jack and no jack stands....i just let the dealership do it
You should do what I did......buy some real thick 2 X 10 X 96 treated wood, cut it in half, and you have yourself a cheap and easy lift.

My jack doesn't get under my car because it sits to low. These slabs of wood serve as a perfect enough lift to slide a oil drain pan under, and drain out the oil.

Point is it's simple, and cheap.
Autozone sells some cheap ramps for about 50 bucks.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:44 PM
waggs
3rd Gear Member

since i bought my car i have never even considered taking it somewhere to have someone repair it or install something. if i don't know how to fix something i'll learn how to do it before i consider taking it somewhere. part of the reason is because i don't wanna let some stranger beat the **** out of my car. i've worked at 2 dealerships and i know how techs treat customer cars[:'(]
Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 PM
SHO NO MERCY
4th Gear Member

Well, I like to do my own maintenance as well, but I'm also responsible if I screw something up on accident. You can bring your own oil to a shop and watch them do it. If they screw it up and your engine blows it's on that shop. Say they do double lip an oil filter or leave the plug half way out. Law states they have to return the car to its original state. If they want to get you a crappy junkyard motor you have a say whether or not that's what you want. You can also take them to small claims if they refuse to fix it the way it was. If something like that happened I would take it straight to Ford and quote a price on repairs from them. Receive a check from the shpo that screwed it up and fix it the way I want to.

Wow I got off topic. Just stating that it's not always a bad thing if a shop screws up an oil change.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:25 AM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

i know it's an old topic. just didn't have time to elaborate on it the first time i posted. i have been driving for 20 years, and haven't been to a mechanic once. between me, and my buddies or just myself i can pull it off. i do hate doing certain stuff though. i dread tie rods, ball joints, front end stuff. i would rather rebuild the motor.