4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Charging system diagram/ question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:01 AM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Default Charging system diagram/ question

Ok, I'm having a charging problem with an 03 GT, and somebody suggested this:
that on the alternator plug there are 2 wires, one goes to the guage, the other goes to some relay?? that lets the regulator know that charge is needed and to activate. I've already changed the alternator, have had the system tested, they say it's not the battery, and says the test shows there was a short. So I guess after this little run down of progress up to this point, I'm wondering if anybody know where this "relay" is, I already checked the fuses, or has a diagram better than what the chilton comes with. Anybody?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:50 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Charging system diagram/ question

bump... anyone got this one?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:41 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I saw in another post that you may have resolved this, however here's the charging system diagram...
Old 05-15-2008, 12:00 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Thanks I appricate it, but I'm still digging into this. I found the solid yellow wire with white stripe on this diagram, and I'm trying to figure out if that wire goes to anything else, or is it just cut plain and simple like this:

alternator, to fuse, to + power source?

Just making sure before I bridge it. all I see on it is a fuse. I want to make sure nothing controls the current going to it. Or is it as simple as bridging a wire from + terminal of battery to that plug and seeing if it works? The fuse is still good, so this is losing me.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:12 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It is as simple as you stated--the yellow/white (it's marked YE/WH) wire runs from terminal 3 on the alternator through a 30A fuse, to the battery junction box, to the battery + terminal through the fusible links.[/align][/align]As a poster said in the other thread, it provides battery voltage feedback to the voltage regulator (inside the alternator, which is more correctly a generator as Ford labels it--since itdelivers DC output). This let's the regulator do it's thing. I would not get rid of the fuse, Ford spent money putting it there because it was needed.[/align][/align][/align]
Old 05-15-2008, 02:32 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Oh, I wasn't planning on getting rid of the fuse, I just wanted to make sure there was a good connection, and there is, but for some odd reason, still not charging. Back to the drawing board, time to test the alternator again.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 PM
ange_421

Lightbulb charging problem on 2000 gt mustang

I replaced the alternator, and its still has a drain, my battery light has remained on, I have no power to drive it just sucks thelife right outta my battrey, is there a charging relay under my hood in my fuse box, something that is keeping my car from charging correctly?? i really need help on this cuz ive gotta fix it I have nobody else to help me.. so here i am counting on someone who knows whats up it just started draining my battery when i left yesterday and turned on my lights, i replaced alternator today and its not fixed, watched it charge then slowly loose its charge. and my car died..Help please
Old 01-30-2018, 01:39 PM
Jimmy Winstead

Default Had same issue with my 96

Replace your fusible link cable between alt and fuse box I installed a 150 circuit breaker instead of building a new wired link.if you straight line without a fusible link of some kind you will have a very dangerous fire hazard and possibly fry your electrical system.
Originally Posted by NeedStangSpeed
Thanks I appricate it, but I'm still digging into this. I found the solid yellow wire with white stripe on this diagram, and I'm trying to figure out if that wire goes to anything else, or is it just cut plain and simple like this:

alternator, to fuse, to + power source?

Just making sure before I bridge it. all I see on it is a fuse. I want to make sure nothing controls the current going to it. Or is it as simple as bridging a wire from + terminal of battery to that plug and seeing if it works? The fuse is still good, so this is losing me.
Hd same
Old 01-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

LOL

NeedStangSpeed, you appear to have left us in suspense. I hope that at some point during the last decade, you managed to get it wired up correctly and charging again. Come back and visit us again sometime.

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 01-30-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:08 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Hey Urambo, let us know if you hear from "NeedStangSpeed" lol

Quick Reply: Charging system diagram/ question