4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

mustang power under the hood of my rock crawler...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 02:21 AM
danger ranger

Default mustang power under the hood of my rock crawler...

Hey everyone... yeaha 1st post noob.

Anyhow, I need some direction from the experts. I'm currently running anexploder4.0 ohv v6 motor in my ford based rock crawler. But I'm looking to build an entirely new rig in the near future (I hope)and want some upgrades in the horse power departmentPlus I want something different, the currenthot trend for hp is the off the shelf500hp LS# corvette motors... BUT that's not gonna be an option to me, ever... [8D]

What I want is an all aluminum v8, forced induction and hp numbers bigger than my tires would be great! lol. The 4.6 looks like a good fit, the 4.0 v6 dohc does too... but that's for another forumI've been pokin around here reading threads... but it's pretty difficult to find info with a broken search engine. I found this wikipedia page is it pretty accurate? If not, couldsomeone point me to some other/better tech info? I'd really like to know some real world specs/dimensions/weight etc for planning purposes too. Is there a reputable mustang specific wrecker to source a complete engine/wiring etc you all would recommend. Last question for now... how much should I expect to pay?

thanks,
Aaron
Old 07-06-2008, 02:42 AM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Default RE: mustang power under the hood of my rock crawler...

Welcome to the forums man, the page that you found is very good and accurate. Just keep in mind that the HP numbers they claim are crank HP.

As far as finding a complete engine/harness, I would shop around Ebay. There is also a popular online junkyard (cant find or think of the name) and they get wrecked Mustangs in there all the time.

What kind of tranny are you planning on runnin? Definatly looks like you got a sweet rig in your avatar, keep me updated, this sounds like it would be a badass build.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:25 AM
danger ranger

ORIGINAL: black35th

Welcome to the forums man, the page that you found is very good and accurate. Just keep in mind that the HP numbers they claim are crank HP.

As far as finding a complete engine/harness, I would shop around Ebay. There is also a popular online junkyard (cant find or think of the name) and they get wrecked Mustangs in there all the time.

What kind of tranny are you planning on runnin? Definatly looks like you got a sweet rig in your avatar, keep me updated, this sounds like it would be a badass build.
Well the hp numbers would just be for around the campfire jabs when we all feel the need to measure the size of our pinky fingers I did find this wrecker (so obvious it's painfull) http://mustangwreckers.com/but a bit unsure which engine/year/model is realistic to ask for? For this new build I want to run an auto trans. Currently I run a 5 speed, but for a more competive rig I need an auto. My understanding is I can run a C4/C6 behind the modular engine family is that correct? I need to run a trans that canhave a transfercase behind itthough. Oh it's a badass build in my head lol... we'll see how it goes

aaron
Old 07-06-2008, 06:53 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

you can run an auto on one of the modular motors, they make some adaptors for it to work.